Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PandaActivescan cannot disinfect

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I have updated and ran spybot S&D, Adaware, NAV and a-squared, and nothing. I have also tried the free scans at trendmicro and bit-defender. Bit-defender found a problem in NAV's quarintine folder which it fixed. A 2nd scan was clear.

The question I have is this: How come Panda's free active-scan finds the same 3 results when I scan, and never disinfects them from the machine? Is this just some sneaky way to try scaring ppl into paying for their Pro version since their current set-up cannot remove these problems?

Here's the results from the scan:

Incident                      Status                        Location                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Adware:Adware/SaveNow        No disinfected                Windows Registry                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Adware:Adware/PopCapLoader    No disinfected                C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Adware:Adware/PopCapLoader    No disinfected                C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.inf                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Is it safe to just delete these files in safe mode, or should I post a HT log first to be safe?

Thanks for help in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
PopCapLoader: http://zone.msn.com/...cle/support2231

It doesn't remove them, probably because to many people complained they couldn't play their favorite online games anymore when it did. :tazz:

Regards,

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I followed the instructions to remove in the link Metallica. thanks :tazz:

I don't use any of those online games, so it must have been one of the kids visiting the house that loaded up some games I suppose. It seems to say that the activex can be dl'ed again if needed anyway, yes?

Now I just need to find out why WhenU/SaveNow keeps appearing in the scan results.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I'd try a registry cleaner or do a doublecheck with one of the AntiSpyware scanners (AdAware, Spybot or MSAS) that do a thorough registry scan.

Regards,

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Are there any free registry cleaners? I think I had a trial for jv12 years ago (not 100% sure about the name) , but I can't find their website now.

Like I said Adaware and Spybot are both clean. What does MSAS stand for?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
MSAS is MicroSoft AntiSpyware: http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx
Still in beta, but coming along quite good.

I think you mean jv16: http://www.macecraft...powertools2005/

You can also try CCLeaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/

Whichever you choose, make sure it is set to make backups !!

Regards,

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
About MSAS; I'm no expert but at least their webpage looks nice! ;) I'm always reticent to install anything still calling itself beta however.

I think I had a trial for jv12 years ago

Posted Image

;) :tazz:

Having read the page on ccleaner, I've realised that I might have something similar alraedy called CleanUp!. I thought that it just cleaned up temp files and stuff like that, but maybe I was wrong.

*phew* it must be the heat today, it's turned the stoopid dial right up to 11! ;)

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
The MSAS detection is based on that of Giant (MicroSoft bought that), which was very good.
(they also had an online library I wish I had made copies of)

Regards,

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Cool, I'll trust your judgement so Metallica, and give the MSAS a whirl after lunch.

About the CleanUp! utility http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/
Is it the same thing as ccleaner then or should I have both?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Cleanup focuses mostly on deleting superfluous files where CCleaner specializes on the registry.
So it could be beneficial to have them both.

Regards,

Advertisements

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Cool, thanks! :tazz:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Anytime. :tazz:

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I've just tried ccleaner, and it came up with 265 results! :tazz:

Bloody 'ell, what do I do now? Just remove them ALL? I saved a txt log from the "analyze" mode. Sould I post it, or attach it or something?

[ps: I read the terms and conditions for Microsofts anti spyware just before accepting, and it will run out in July. Is this correct? And if so, I don't see the point of trying it out for a couple of weeks whereupon it runs out and then having to pay for their commercial version. Seems like a bit of a scam to me. ;) ]

Edited by Caine, 23 June 2005 - 04:23 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Is there going to be a commercial version?

Nobody ever tells me anything :tazz:

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
:tazz:

Sssssshhhhhhh, quiten down kids!
Poor 'aul Metallica's snoozing in his rocking chair with a blanket on his lap and his favourite pair of comfy slippers. ;) ;)

Anyhoo, what about this "saga" that appeared in my ccleaner scan? Are ALL the results for fixing, or is it like HijackThis where most of the entries should be ignored?