Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LENOVO G50-30 not turning on

• Please log in to reply

Sanelleh

Sanelleh

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My laptop automatically turns on the led lights when the charger is connected without the battery but doesn't go through to login, the screen remains black and the fan runs for a couple of seconds then it goes off. What may the problem be?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Sanelleh,

What happens if you try to power up the notebook with the main battery in place, both with and without the AC adaptor being connected and turned on at the power outlet.

Sanelleh

Sanelleh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nothing happens it doesn't power on nor does the led lights come on

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Could be that your battery does not have any charge in it, this caused by either a faulty charger, a faulty charging circuit in the MB or the DC jack port.

Couple of questions if I may;

Is the present charger the original one.

Does the charger have an LED on it that normally lights up when the power is on.

Any signs of damage to the charger itself.

Is the DC jack port that the charger plugs into in a good condition, not loose etc. 

Sanelleh

Sanelleh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes it is the original one and it's in good condition, it doesn't have a LED light on it, it does the same if I use someone else's charger. The battery works and charges perfectly fine on another laptop

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
My laptop automatically turns on the led lights when the charger is connected without the battery but doesn't go through to login, the screen remains black and the fan runs for a couple of seconds then it goes off.

As the present battery charges on another computer and the behaviour is the same with a known good charger you are now looking at internal hardware failure, for example, the computer starting and then shutting down when on mains power could suggest a system short circuit, if it was due to overheating you would at least get a BIOS screen and the notebook would behave the same when only the battery was in use.

it does the same if I use someone else's charger. The battery works and charges perfectly fine on another laptop 

Also suggests that the problem is elsewhere, btw it would have been helpful had we known this latest info from the start  :P

You missed answering the following for us;

Is the DC jack port that the charger plugs into in a good condition, not loose etc. 

Would you be ok with removing the back cover then the RAM from the MB, the info required is on page/s 40 and 41 here take a look and let us know what you think.

Sanelleh

Sanelleh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The DC jack port seems fine since it isn't loose

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

It would be helpful if you could answer each question as they are asked Sanelleh, less time going backwards and forwards and hopefully quicker in getting your initial question answered.

Would you be ok with removing the back cover then the RAM from the MB, the info required is on page/s 40 and 41 here take a look and let us know what you think.

It is even more important that we know the answer to the above as it would never be suggested that anyone open up a computer or other electrical device unless they were 100% confident in their own ability and confirmed so here before continuing.

Sanelleh

Sanelleh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can do that, but it will have to be tomorrow. I don't have the laptop with me at the moment

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem and any questions along the way please ask.

The DC jack needs to be secure + check the centre of the port for signs of wear and tear/damage and that the AC adaptor chargers jack fits nice and snug, the jacks themselves when damaged or loose can cause a short circuit.

The necassary safety steps are explained at the link but below is my canned as it is more comprehensive;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect any attached hardware such as a printer etc, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the case power button for 10 seconds or so to get rid of any residual charge in the system, remove the bottom of the case, be sure to take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a radiator.

Advertisements

Sanelleh

Sanelleh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just removed the RAM

Sanelleh

Sanelleh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I took out the RAM and the hard drive

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20170515_181608.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

With the RAM still removed from the notebook, connect only the AC adaptor, press the power on button and let us know if there is any change in the previous behaviour.

No need to have taken out the HDD btw  :thumbsup:

Sanelleh

Sanelleh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No luck, still not powering up

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
My laptop automatically turns on the led lights when the charger is connected without the battery 

the fan runs for a couple of seconds then it goes off.

My reply #2

What happens if you try to power up the notebook with the main battery in place, both with and without the AC adaptor being connected and turned on at the power outlet.

Your reply #3

Nothing happens it doesn't power on nor does the led lights come on 

Does the exact same behaviour described above still happen with the RAM removed.