Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering Corrupted SD Memory Card

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

While preparing some documents, I needed to copy some old pictures from an SD card. To keep it out of my way, I used a Maxiflash card reader plugged into an Orico USB multi-port, that plugged into my Asus A54C running Windows 7. At a later point (while nothing was supposed to be downloading, I.e. theoretically no activity, I put the system to sleep. Upon reawaking, I got a message (which I didn't see clearly) about a corrupted file. Now the SD card won't open (get a message saying it needs to be formatted, which I didn't do) and camera (Canon A550) also gives me a notice, I think saying no files exist.

SD card "Properties" via laptop shows 0 data (both Used and Free)  but, that circular capacity diagram is blue, indicating file is full

I won't try anything with the card for a while, but did find in a quick search, a program called Cardrecovery. Also noticed in an earlier thread something about EaseUS restoring the files. Is that the Free version which I have?

Most of these files are old pictures (which I never got around to backing up!) but a few are probably important short videos. Hopefully I won't need them for early Monday...but in any case, does anyone here have good experience, advice, or instructions about recovering my files. BTW, the card is not locked.

It may have been close to being full, but I don't think I accidentally tried to load anything on it.

Thanks

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

https://www.lifewire...e-tools-2622893

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Thanks for the information. The article looks interesting, although I'm still running against a deadline so won't be studying it or trying any of its recommendations for a while. I do hate to keep people waiting, so thought I should at least stop by and say thanks now. I will report back with progress, once I get some time and sleep. BTW, I think I was wrong abut not having a copy of the file on that SD card, and if so, I will be able to determine how good of a job any recovery is.

Thanks again.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I just downloaded the Portable version of Recurva after plugging in the SD card, then, using the Wizard, chose All Files, then Media cards, and got a message saying something like 'Scan not done....unable to determine file type'. I tried again using Pictures, again with Deep Scan, getting the same results every time. Apparently the files were corrupted enough so as to be unrecognizable. I will refrain from reformatting the card, for now.

Anyone have any other suggestions that might work? At this point, it's probably a scholarly exercise rather than something of great importance...although I will never be sure if I don't at least partially succeed.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

You might try TestDisk.  I've had good luck with it.  http://www.techradar...sk-and-photorec

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I finally have some time to work on this problem, but decided it might be useful if I could copy the files from the corrupted card to another site, just so I have backup in case a test method further corrupts the original files. I am probably going to use the portable version of Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, but have a simple question about its settings. The forth box, which is checked by default, says "Overwrite existing files". Does this apply only to files on the destination location? In other words, is this a 'read only' program wrt the card I'm copying from?

Thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I would think so. 

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I would think so. 

I should have looked before asking; a Help page explaining it all exists at this location:

http://www.roadkil.n...sionID=5.2=楗摮睯╳〲呎㈥㘰ㄮ&LangID=9

I have done some test transfers of other files and so far have found no problems, so will probably do so with the SD card tomorrow and then try some free Recovery programs, including TestDisc, on the copy of the corrupted file.

Thanks again

Edit:  Well, I tried using the "unstoppable" program tonight, but it wouldn't even start copying. Tried using different readers, cycling Lock switch, etc. but no success.

Edited by TooNew2, 07 June 2017 - 11:11 PM.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Update:

I thought some recovery programs might be better at recovering deleted files or with reformatted cards, others from corrupted files, so have been doing more searching. I just found a short review of various programs at this address which seems to match other bits of information I've run across. It doesn't include Glary Undelete.

http://www.data-reco...o-recovery.aspx

Earlier I tried the 'free' part of CardRecovery, which successfully found and previewed all the pictures I expected to exist on the card; it saved an encrypted (?) version of the files on my system, but I'd need to buy the rest of the program to read them. Good insurance to have, in case the card did get further corrupted and fully unreadable. 

I think I will next try the ZAR program, reading the original card again. Still wish I could copy it and practice reading the resulting file copy on my system.

Will report back (edit this) once I get more results.

In more searching, I found two programs for cloning SD cards. The first, dd_rescue, is written in Digigreek, which I don't know and won't experiment with. The second, Win32 Disk Imager, I haven't been able to find enough detailed information about to determine its usefulness to me. Anyone here have any knowledge about either and want to add an comments about them?

I found a third program,  GNU ddrescue, which does have lots of information available about it, and although somewhat interesting, is also essentially Digigreek so above my current abilities. Seems it would be good for cloning a card file for someone who knew how to use it.

Edited by TooNew2, 08 June 2017 - 11:23 PM.

droider

droider

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Toonew2, 

Why don't you try DiskDrill or DiskDigger (look this review), it should help to recover your damaged sd card. Did you try this apps? 

ToniWeller

ToniWeller

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I also can recommend you to try Disk Drill and Recuva, or check this how-toIt helps you to choose the best and free tool, including memory card recovery software  :geek: