Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting Windows XP 2007 from old computer to updated version

Upgrading Windows XP 2007 Need updated version

Best Answer phillpower2 , 28 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

Lmcphail22, Windows 7 and 8.1 can be upgraded to Windows 10 but depending on how old your computer is your hardware may not be compatible, as a starting point, if you have intern... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Lmcphail22

Lmcphail22

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I try to press Windows update and it won't let me do anything. What version can I buy that will upgrade to Windows 10?? Tried shopping on eBay but getting confused with what I actually need. Please help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:    Lmcphail22,

Windows 7 and 8.1 can be upgraded to Windows 10 but depending on how old your computer is your hardware may not be compatible, as a starting point, if you have internet access on the XP computer, download and run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor tool which you can get from here

If you have no internet connection on the XP computer, let us know the brand and model name or number of the computer and how you normally connect to the internet as in wireless or ethernet cable.

Lmcphail22

Lmcphail22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok I tried this today. Installed the version and it didn't update windows at all but did upgrade some features. I bought a Windows 7 and 8.1 installer for 32 bit. I don't know what else to do besides buy a new computer. Everything is starting to become incompatible.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok I tried this today. Installed the version and it didn't update windows at all but did upgrade some features. 

Sorry but not sure what you mean, what is the "version" to which you refer.

I bought a Windows 7 and 8.1 installer for 32 bit.

What is an "installer" can you post a link so we can see what it is that you have purchased.

I don't know what else to do besides buy a new computer. 

As a starting point I would suggest that before doing or purchasing anything else you ask here first, in my reply #2 I only suggested that if you could you download and run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor tool, the tool does not update anything, it only advises a user as to whether or not their computer is able to be upgraded or run Windows 7, many older XP computers are low spec and cannot run any Windows OS above XP and that is why running the tool was suggested.

Lmcphail22

Lmcphail22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

https://www.amazon.c...BP4CVX1Y33RZP85

Attached Thumbnails

• 5104WaBWCxL._SX466_.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you have waste your money  :(

Product description and limitation information below, note what I have highlighted in red;

Allows you to reinstall, repair, and restore any PC that still has its Windows product key code.
This restore disc can be used to return a Windows 7 computer back to factory settings, making your computer run like brand new!
This disc lets you remove viruses and fix common errors by reinstalling your Windows Operating system.
Unlike the other general recovery tools available, this disc has added capabilities that set it apart from the rest, giving your computer a chance to reach its full potential.
This disc does not come with a Windows 7 product key; you must use your computer's original Windows product key attached to the computer with a sticker.

What you have purchased is a generic repair disk that is intended for and can only be used on a computer that is already running Windows 7 that has a legitimate accompanying Microsoft product key that matches the information on Microsofts database.

Windows 7 on disk is not only very hard to find these days but also very expensive, a digital download costs almost $110 example here

Lmcphail22

Lmcphail22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Worked like a champ!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Worked like a champ!

What worked like a champ, the Windows 7 repair disk that you purchased is of no use whatsoever on a computer running Windows XP  :headscratch:

Edit to add, the least expensive Windows 7 that I could find on DVD costs $189.89 here

If you have somehow done a clean install of Windows 7 using that DVD;

Microsoft will not allow folk to install Windows 7 for $16.88 which was the cost of the Boot Recovery Restore DVD disk from Amazon, no Windows 7 product key = not being allowed to update and being at risk of malware attack, pop ups from Microsoft prompting you for a product key + telling you that you are using an unlicensed version of Windows  :(

Lmcphail22

Lmcphail22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My disc. I bought a product key and we're good to go. Anyway you can explain how to bring Microsoft office that was installed on the previous version? I have a windows.old folder with previous applications

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

What version of Microsoft Office were you previously running.

Advertisements

Lmcphail22

Lmcphail22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Office 2007

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

My disc. I bought a product key and we're good to go. Anyway you can explain how to bring Microsoft office that was installed on the previous version? I have a windows.old folder with previous applications

Slightly puzzled  :headscratch: you had Office 2007 running on an XP machine which is fine but can I ask how you have a Windows old folder that contains the previous apps.

Lmcphail22

Lmcphail22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ah I have no idea. I got the computer from my boyfriend for work and I'm trying to update it and clean it up as much as possible. I may have to recheck that.

Lmcphail22

Lmcphail22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I upgraded to Windows 7 and it put the old xp contents in that folder

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I upgraded to Windows 7 and it put the old xp contents in that folder

You cannot do that with programs, they will not work and you will now need to do a clean install of Office 2007 so will need the 25 pin Microsoft product key for the program.

What should have been done before installing Windows 7, if not already in possession of it/them, all product keys should have been obtained using something like Magical JellyBean keyfinder,  your data should have been backed up to an external storage device using the transfer wizard and then a custom install of Windows.