Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Desktop

• Please log in to reply

Enzeru Rocker

Enzeru Rocker

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello, my dad was given some comp, because well this family bought a new one. It's a Windows XP Professional Operating System. Not sure, on what type of computer it is. We've changed the Administrator's password before... but turns out it is not the "REAL" Administrator, the one-built in the comp. We can not figure out the password. When we log on the comp in normal mode... all we see is the wall paper. And nothing else, no taskbar, no start menu... no anything. Yes, we have right-clicked, and nothing. Once my dad was able to get on safe mode, from command prompt. We were able to access some things on the comp from there. However, dad forgot how he got there. I've tried a lot of sites, on how to find out the Administrators password, or change it, but they all suggest buying some software. Probelm is, I can't use software, if nothing loads visibly for us to see, and we just find it ridiculous, since we always remember our user passwords. I've asked a lot of people for help, and received some help ful, tips. I ran into this site, and I'm hoping someone out there understands what I'm trying to say. My Dad figures someone purposely set the computer up so that you can not access the desktop, startmenu, etc... Well, enough blathering, so if you need any more detail, just post and I'll get right back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate any help and tips.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Someone with better knowledge of XP pro can probably help you more, but th;ere is also an Administator password in the Setup which you can access during boot up by hitting the right key. During boot up you may see something like "To enter Setup press F1". This is usually the primary password used by the administrator to change settings, passwords, etc. :tazz:

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Try to press the CTRL+ALT+DEL > new task then browse for the application you wish to run.

Download this Policies Fix > extract it to a safe location > double-click fixfirst.reg then agree with the merge > double-click fixsecond.reg then agree with the merge.

If you cant do it, try it in Safe Mode.

Enzeru Rocker

Enzeru Rocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry but Ctrl + Alt + Del, doesn't do much. Connecting it to the net is usless.. the only I can do anything in is safe mode. I've been typing in random anything, and getting some where. I wish my dad new how he accessed the page that showed us everything while in command prompt. And just maybe, I think I can do the whole "Net" thing from there. Since that was the only time a message did not pop up telling me, "This can not be accessed"... or "File does not exist". And such. Thanks Guys !!

Edited by Enzeru Rocker, 17 June 2005 - 06:32 PM.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
download the policies fix from another computer, store it in a floppy or burn in a CD, copy it to your PC from the Safe Mode, extract it then follow the above instructions.

Enzeru Rocker

Enzeru Rocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Alright thanks, I'll do it as soon as I can, and I'll keep you updated. Thanks a lot !!