Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Going Crazy! cpu usage 80-100%, no spyware NEW HD!

• Please log in to reply

killer4605

killer4605

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok guys, this is killing me. a few weeks ago my cpu usage started sticking at 80-100%. now i'm talking about the "system" process, not the system idle process.

ok, i spent hours downloading spyware detectors and such and came out with nothing. i ran defrag, disk doctor, etc and NOTHING worked. so i got pissed, i figured it might be a hard drive screw up and bought a brand new HD from newegg....

i just finished installing XP last night on the new hd, the old hd is disconnected and i am sitting here with only this website open. system process usage is at 75%, system idle is around 22%.

i am an inch away from breaking the pc... i need help.

Advertisements

killer4605

killer4605

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
guys help please!!

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808 and I will be helping you today.

l need you to use a free diagnostic tool HiJackThis, read the short tutorial HERE.

Go to config > Misc Tools > Open process Manager > click on the clipboard icon above (that will save a copy of your running processes on the clipboard) paste in on notepad, then save. Post the Process List here.

killer4605

killer4605

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
got some errors when i hit scan. running win XP Pro.

An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modMain_CheckOther1Item()
Error #5 - Invalid procedure call or argument

Please email me at [email protected], reporting the following:
* What you were trying to fix when the error occurred, if applicable
* How you can reproduce the error
* A complete HijackThis scan log, if possible

Windows version: Windows NT 5.01.2600
MSIE version: 6.0.2900.2180
HijackThis version: 1.99.1

This message has been copied to your clipboard.
Click OK to continue the rest of the scan.

a few more errors came up but they all overwrite each other on the clipboard.... anyways, here's the scan result.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:32:11 AM, on 6/18/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bacstray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\matt\Desktop\New Folder\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bacstray] BacsTray.exe

Edited by killer4605, 17 June 2005 - 10:33 PM.

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*
I had this a couple of weeks ago. My CPU was 80-100% and I didn't know why. I couldn't open up all my programs directly and couldn't access the control panel. I was on the verge of reformatting when I found out that I hadn't uninstalled the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta properly and it was raping my CPU. I found the file that was taking up all the space, deleted it, and then I could access the Control Panel. I properly uninstalled MAS.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Download them then do the scanning at Safe Mode. For the HijackThis Log result, please post this later at Malware Removal Forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

killer4605

killer4605

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Download them then do the scanning at Safe Mode. For the HijackThis Log result, please post this later at Malware Removal Forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

View Post

the thing is, this is a brand new hard drive. completely formatted with just windows XP on it... there couldn't possibly be any trojans or spyware doing the damage. it just doesnt make any sense :tazz: ;)

i havent downloaded any windows updates so that cant be it either... ;)

ps: the xp cd had SP2 on it already

Edited by killer4605, 17 June 2005 - 10:48 PM.

killer4605

killer4605

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
what kind of hardware conflicts can cause this problem? i don't see any problems in the system manager... could my motherboard be screwed up?

killer4605

killer4605

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok now this doesnt make any sense.

i went to msconfig and did a diagnostic startup and the cpu usage went down to 0. i slowly turned on all of the check boxes until i got back to normal startup, and the cpu usage is much lower. the highest it goes at idle is 3%.... but it doesnt make any sense, essentially i just turned off all the startup services and items, and slowly turned them back on... but it seems the cpu whoring is gone!