Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU overheating... I think... Maybe not?

Best Answer MightyPotato , 06 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

I had only turned my pc on to look at this forum and look for updates, at one point as i was watching the HW monitors i saw my temperature at 55 just as my pc shut down and windows failed to start.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello! I'm new to forums and making my own posts but i cant for the life of me find a way to fix my issue elsewhere
I've recently had issues with my pc where it would seemingly randomly go to a black screen and then restart after a few seconds during gaming, I've had the exact problem last year but i fixed it by just dusting off my pc (it had lots of dust built up so i thought its overheating). So i tried doing the same thing this time but the issues still occured, I thought this was due to overheating so i installed some programs to monitor my CPU heat...
Here's where the weird stuff start... The first program i've been using is called "CoreTemp", everything seemed alright until i noticed it would sometimes display my current temp's to be around 4°C, which seemed impossible since my room temperature is around 26°C. After that i installed "CPUID HWMonitor" which displays my heat to be 75°C during simple tasks such as youtube to 125°C during gaming, Which to me seems to be abnormaly high.
I've taken off my heatsink, replaced the thermal paste hoping it would fix the issue but its still the same, my computer hasnt shut off since the replacement but the numbers are so high i fear it might damage my computer. 
Holding my hand close to the fans i cant really feel the air being too hot, i've even opened the side panel for more airflow, and now im out of ideas
I've also been told to try checking the heat in BIOS and turning off the integrated graphics but i'm not too experienced and i fear i might screw something up, or that my pc's peformance will lower

Here are my specs in case they're of any use:
CPU (APU actually) AMD A10-6790K APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics
GPU                         AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

RAM                         8.0 GB Ram

OS                            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Screenshot of the programs for all its worth:
c78eb88ca1.png

P.S. Latests time i tried playing intensive games i recall hearing a weird Beep from my PC not sure whats up with that

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   MightyPotato,

What is the brand and model name or number of the power supply, if this is a brand name computer such as Dell or HP etc, post the brand and model name or number of the computer itself.

Certain information we need is missing from your screenshots, please see my canned info below and be sure to click on the + for the Gigabyte motherboard first.

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan from here and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

The power supply i have is braned: "Nitro2 85+" and the model number is: "BPS 750C2"
The Speedfan window seemed to be slightly different than the one you had although i hope its good enough
Sorry for just throwing out previous screenshots through 3rd party software, i thought it would be quicker and cleaner than manually screenshotting
Side note: The -7°C marks are quite funny, but 99.999% sure its wrong, just a broken node or something

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by MightyPotato, 04 July 2017 - 04:10 PM.

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Update on the whole situation:
Whilst i was playing yesterday my screen randomly shut off, then came back on, since it only happend once i didn't think i would need to mention it but right now, I've been watching youtube for the past 2 hours. My screen suddenly shut off again, not just black but shut off, then faded back to black and in about 5 seconds i got my screen back with the message in screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem with posting any screenshots if you think that they will help, its just that the method preferred gives us more info.

A MBs own software can sometimes conflict with third party monitoring software but the readings normally so far off that it is obvious that they are anomalous, a well known Speedfan one is -128C  :headscratch:

Your PSU when new only had a 1 year warranty and is potentially 4+ years old, even if not the cause of the problems that you are having I suggest that you look to replace it.

Quick PSU specs here and a full review here 

No voltage readings for the PSU which is not helpful  :(

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Update on the whole situation:

Odd as it may seem but overheating can cause such a error message to be thrown up.

In addition to checking for any BIOS readings, would you be ok with completely removing the add on video card from the MB and testing the system using the CPU/MB graphics.

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I can safely say that the PSU I have has been in the same system for 4-ish years and the PC's previous owner had used the rig for Bitcoin mining and was overclocked, the only exceptions to that are that he used to have another same GPU as i do now

As i said before I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to BIOS, so if its not too much trouble, a basic idea of where and what I'm looking for would go a long way. Same with removing the GPU and running the system without it ( i know how to do it physically but not software wise)

I've looked through BIOS but i cant seem to find my way around it, the CPU temperature was 60-75°C and the BIOS version is F4b

While i was looking through BIOS my screen once again went black and just stayed like that until i restarted -- Kinda concerning

Thank you very much and sorry for causing you this much trouble

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Got to go out for a short while but will be back in around 30/40 minutes.

I've looked through BIOS but i cant seem to find my way around it, the CPU temperature was 60-75°C 

That is way too hot as the system should shut down when the CPU gets to 74°C, you need to restore the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS in case anything is still being OCd, we could do with some more system info, please see below, I would suggest no more videos or gaming for now;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Thank you very much and sorry for causing you this much trouble

You are welcome and no trouble whatsoever  :no:

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I recall seeing in bios something along the lines of warning and shutdown at 80/90°C

http://speccy.pirifo...hqmPNZrWyJF7Upo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I recall seeing in bios something along the lines of warning and shutdown at 80/90°C

To protect your CPU the thermal shutdown setting in the BIOS should be below 74°C, the fact that it is not means that either something is faulty or the setting has been physically changed, overclockers for example do this your AMD A10-6790K specifications

While I look at your Speccy report, take a look around your BIOS for restore factory, optimised or most stable settings, let us know what you find.

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

If the thermal shutdown setting should be below 74°C wouldn't that mean my pc would constantly be shutting off or not even able to start up (assuming my average temperatures vary from 50°C to 75°C)? If that's the case i would refrain from resetting the MB to default settings so that i may still use the computer to stay in contact here and look for a way to fix it

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You seem to be missing the point, running above 74°C is killing your CPU and as explained the fact that the computer is not shutting down to protect the CPU means that either something is faulty or the setting has been physically changed, overclocking the RAM and CPU requires the voltages to be increased in the BIOS, this creates more heat meaning that the thermal shutdown limit also needs to be increased, restoring the factory defaults returns the voltages back to normal which in turn reduces the heat.

In case you are not aware, OCing shortens the life of hardware and damage caused by overclocking is irreversible, you have cleaned out the dust and reapplied the thermal compound but the CPU is still running hot, its either bad MB settings or your CPU showing the signs of damage caused by the previous OCing.

NB: One of your MBs memory slots is also showing that it has too much voltage going to it. 

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I have previously had problems with the ram slots, out of the 4 only 2 of them work properly. But only if both slots are filled if i remember correctly, but i may be mistaken
On another note i will reset the MB to factory settings now

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I have previously had problems with the ram slots, out of the 4 only 2 of them work properly. But only if both slots are filled if i remember correctly, but i may be mistaken

Will come back to this but just so you know, on a MB that has more than two memory slots the RAM normally has to be inserted in specific slot/s when only using one or two of the available memory slots.

Will look out for your update.

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I think i've done it, reset to default settings by pressing F7 Optimized Defaults, i was asked if i want to load then and i pressed yes - So far no change according to the HWMonitor

On another note i think i also found the voltage results you were looking for 

Attached Thumbnails

• P_20170705_213956.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I think i've done it, reset to default settings by pressing F7 Optimized Defaults, i was asked if i want to load then and i pressed yes 

Wasn`t what was suggested in my reply #9;

take a look around your BIOS for restore factory, optimised or most stable settings, let us know what you find.

On some MBs optimised settings are a form of OCing that can cause instability, was that the only option available.

Was that screenshot taken before or after you changed the MBs BIOS settings.