Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU overheating... I think... Maybe not?

Best Answer MightyPotato , 06 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

I had only turned my pc on to look at this forum and look for updates, at one point as i was watching the HW monitors i saw my temperature at 55 just as my pc shut down and windows failed to start.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

It was afterwards

Although i changed the settings nothing has visibly been changed, apart from the little window popping up asking if I'm sure.

Apologies for misreading your suggestion :X

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
On some MBs optimised settings are a form of OCing that can cause instability, was that the only option available.

Please take your time reading any replies as you keep missing things, we need to know if there were any other options in the BIOS other than the optimised ones that you selected.

Apologies for misreading your suggestion  :X

No need for any apology, but if you are rushing things you could end up with bigger problems than you have now.

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Whilst i was writing this reply (previously i had been browsing internet) my computer shut off again, holding my hand near the cpu fan it wasnt hot and the heatsink was *cold* to touch, i've also recieved this crash report saying it was a "Blue screen" and a location of a file describing the error. This appeared every time my pc has done this but i never screenshot it until now

After going back and looking through BIOS i found a few presets under Save&Exit tab which i've also attached 
Profile 1: "Igor" Is the the name of the previous owner of this computer whom used this as a bitcoin mining rig and overclocked it before giving it to me with one GPU instead of 2 he used
Profile 2: "novi" Translated from Serbian to english just means "New"
Profile 3: "pravi" Translated from Serbian to English means "Right one" or "Real"

I doubt these mean anything but im throwing them out there in case they do

I had lots of things on my mind but now i will take extra care when reading replies 
I had lots of things on my mind but now i will take extra care when reading replies

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png
  • P_20170705_223245.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
holding my hand near the cpu fan it wasnt hot and the heatsink was *cold* to touch, i

The fan should have been warm and the heatsink very hot, both asides, can I just check that you did not reach inside the case while the computer was connected to the power outlet and that you ground yourself before touching anything inside the case, if not, the first can cause you serious harm (even death) and the second can ruin your hardware by shorting it out.

i've also recieved this crash report saying it was a "Blue screen" and a location of a file describing the error. This appeared every time my pc has done this but i never screenshot it until now

This information should have been included in your OP, anything else you can tell us that may help;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.

3. Upload the zip folder using the More Reply Options tab, Choose File then the Attach This File tab., bottom left of the dialogue input box.

After going back and looking through BIOS i found a few presets under Save&Exit tab which i've also attached 
Profile 1: "Igor" Is the the name of the previous owner of this computer whom used this as a bitcoin mining rig and overclocked it before giving it to me 

Avoid anything to do with OCing in the future, any new hardware that you may purchase will last longer, I just hope that Igor has not sold you a pile of junk.

Make sure that you go into the BIOS and enable the top two CPU warnings.

Going offline soon so may not get the crash dmps until tomorrow evening UK time.

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Just as the PC started restarting i held my hand near the fan but only touched the heatsink after unplugging it and grounding

Personally i haven't done any Overclocking, it was all done by Igor before he gave me this PC as a *gift* and he only overclocked for bitcoin mining, i didn't pay anything for it so there's no reason for him to try anything shifty. So I'm sure everything's fine on that end

As for the dumps, i had no idea they would be of any importance

This is a wild guess, but would it be possible that my CPU isn't actually overheating but my PC thinks it is and is shutting off as a result for whatever reason?

Attached Files

Edited by MightyPotato, 05 July 2017 - 03:48 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Hope you don't mind a but in.

i installed "CPUID HWMonitor" which displays my heat to be 75°C during simple tasks such as youtube to 125°C during gaming, Which to me seems to be abnormaly high.
I've taken off my heatsink, replaced the thermal paste hoping it would fix the issue but its still the same, my computer hasnt shut off since the replacement but the numbers are so high i fear it might damage my computer. 
Holding my hand close to the fans i cant really feel the air being too hot, i've even opened the side panel for more airflow, 

P.S. Latests time i tried playing intensive games i recall hearing a weird Beep from my PC not sure whats up with that

Did you completely remove all traces of the old TIM, from both the CPU top and the heatsink plate, before applying the new paste? (apply TIM as an X, do not spread it out)

https://www.gigabyte...#support-manual

If you haven't got it, your User Manual  download, > https://www.gigabyte...#support-manual

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I removed the previous thermal paste with alcohol and i was very careful to use a more delicate material than just paper towel, as I've been told to

Yes, from both heatsink and the plate, also I've applies it as a bubble in the middle rather than an X

Edited by MightyPotato, 06 July 2017 - 10:00 AM.

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
✓  Best Answer

I had only turned my pc on to look at this forum and look for updates, at one point as i was watching the HW monitors i saw my temperature at 55 just as my pc shut down and windows failed to start.I tried restarting but only got the same thing over and over again and after failing to repair and one more restart my computer booted up properly. I don't dare turn my PC on again in fear of it being permamently damaged if it isn't already. At this moment i cannot afford to take my pc to a repair shop somewhere as i am going through a rough time

I truly admire you for attempting to help a complete stranger and i appreciate it very much but i think ill just shut it down and put it away until I can figure something out
I think this is a goodbye from me, but once again, Thank you very much

Attached Thumbnails

• P_20170706_221711.jpg
  • P_20170706_223604.jpg

Edited by MightyPotato, 06 July 2017 - 02:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry that we have been unable to help but thank you for letting us know that you are putting things on hold.

Looked at your last four crash dmps and they all point towards the CPU having issues, see below;

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV

Because Windows is shutting down prematurely it is creating the crash dmp/s letting you know what caused it, see info here

Come back here anytime and you are welcome btw  :)

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Welp im back here because i literally have no other options... I went to a "professional" PC repair store where they told me i need to replace my CPU... and so i bought a new one... had them install it... Nothing changed, the teperatures are identical and now i have two fully working CPU's on my hands...

At this rate the fault is either in the motherboard or powersupply but i honestly cant afford to replace both or worst case scenario either of them, especially knowing im investing money in an old rig... Everything's dying and everything will need to be replaced sooner or later, and im being held back by other parts so im forced to buy outdated parts furthering my problem... Please help if there is any way to fix this other than buying a new pc/parts

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not sure how much you are prepared to put into this MightyPotato, borrowing an appropriate PSU or having the present one tested are your best options imo;

From my reply #5;

Your PSU when new only had a 1 year warranty and is potentially 4+ years old, even if not the cause of the problems that you are having I suggest that you look to replace it.

zach2017

zach2017

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Before worrying too much think you should check first the computer documentation, you know, the CPU or graphics card specifications so that you will know the temperature range of your hardware.  Unless you are already encountering abrupt shut downs or your screen freezes, then it might be overheating. But if you think its really overheating here a DYI tip to prevent it   

1.  Clean Out Your Computer’s Case dust covered CPU is a cause of overheating.

2. Ensure Proper Ventilation I have read in computerxpress.us that there CPU that are overheating due to improper ventilation

3. Check if the Fans Are Running or Double-Check Liquid Cooling: If you use liquid cooling, double check that the pump is working efficiently.

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I've already done all that, today im going to a friends house to check if its the PSU or the motherboard since he has a similar system, ill update as things go

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update MightyPotato  :thumbsup:

MightyPotato

MightyPotato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Honestly im just really burned out... I've talked to multiple people that claimed to be professionals, one of which tried to charge me him "reinstalling windows" even though it didnt do anything. So far I've used a laser thermometer and found that the reading on HWMonitor are about 10 degrees higher than actual, i've gotten an old , much bigger heatsink and the temps dont go over 80... yeah its still pretty high but it will have to do for now. Thanks a lot for all your help. Im out