Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser is super slow - PUM.Optional.ProxyHijacker detected

Browser

• Please log in to reply

missmoody

missmoody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello RKinner, it's missmoody here now. My boyfriend who was helping was desperate to go to bed, so I said I could manage to finish the rest.

I've now done the following: deleted the FRST quarantine folder; checked that Flash is up to date (it is, and is currently disabled); disabled javascript in Nitro Pro (PDF reader); installed Ublock Origin; changed the punycode 'thing' (very technical term) in Firefox and tested it; installed FB Purity; installed CryptoPrevent.

I'm switching to a different ISP on Wednesday and getting a new router, so will heed the information regarding the password and encryption when it's set up.

I've been getting notifications about updating Java for the past couple of days, but haven't done it yet because of the issues I've been having, so I will sort that out tomorrow. 

Other than deleting folders and logs for any tools we've used (which can also wait until tomorrow), I think that's everything.

Thank you very much for your help - it's greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Glad you are feeling well enough to work on your PC.

I would just uninstall Java.  Hardly any websites use it any more.

missmoody

missmoody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thank you. I will do that.