Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not running properly

• Please log in to reply

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

For COM+, when I press start services or try to right click properties nothing happens. It just hangs or service ends up saying "Not Responding"

Attached Files

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Download and Save the attached evt.zip.  

Right click on it and Extract All, Extract, OK.  Right click on evt.reg and MERGE.  Ignore the warning.  Report any errors.

Reboot into regular mode

Then go back into services.msc and see if com + event system will start now.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Download and Save the attached evt.zip. 

Right click on it and Extract All, Extract, OK.  Right click on evt.reg and MERGE.  Ignore the warning.  Report any errors.

Reboot into regular mode

Then go back into services.msc and see if com + event system will start now.

Manged to get com + event starting without any errors.

Update: programs still barely work, still no internet connection. Something is causing my physical memory to run @ 87%-90% in normal mode, despite me closing most of the processes.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Process Explorer says the worst user of the memory is Firefox.  Try running Firefox  in Safe Mode

https://support.mozi...using-safe-mode

Now that Com + Events is running, is Background Intelligent Transfer working?  

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Process Explorer says the worst user of the memory is Firefox.  Try running Firefox  in Safe Mode

https://support.mozi...using-safe-mode

Now that Com + Events is running, is Background Intelligent Transfer working?  

couldn't get to desktop without programs crashing, stalling. Got a BSOD, haven't seen one of those in years.

unable to get to services. The physical memory running at nearly full capacity is forcing programs to shutdown, not respond or startup.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If you close Firefox does that help the memory situation?

Download BlueScreenView

Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit, Select All.

Go File, Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

If you close Firefox does that help the memory situation?

Download BlueScreenView

Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit, Select All.

Go File, Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Nothing has come up in bluescreenview.

Closing firefox doesn't help.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Right click on the clock and Start Task Manager

Click on Processes .  Then on the Memory column header. (once or twice so the biggest users are at the top)  What is using the memory?

Bedtime here

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Right click on the clock and Start Task Manager

Click on Processes .  Then on the Memory column header. (once or twice so the biggest users are at the top)  What is using the memory?

Bedtime he

In safe mode, everything runs fine, even firefox is at its usual memory usage around the 500k mark. Physical memory usage is sitting on 28%.

In normal mode, everything looks fine in the processes tab. Nothing is above 30k, even when I close programs individually from the task manager it still hits 87%+ constantly. I used rammap to give me some sort of indication to where all the usage was coming from. It displayed "non-paged pool" using a high majority of my memory + active.

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Managed to get sfc /scannow to work, but it only went as far as 68% before it said "Windows resource protection could not start the service".

Also managed to get in some screenshots before everything went haywire and stopped working :/

And just to clarify both COM+ event and Background Intelligent Transfer work in normal mode.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4systemres.jpg
  • 5.jpg

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

In Task Manager you need to check the box for Show Processes from All Users to see everything using memory & CPU.  

However since the non paged pool is ridiculously large it's probably a driver with a memory leak.  Usually the network adapter is the culprit.

Search for 

device manager

hit Enter

Find your network adapter and  Update Driver Software.  See if it finds anything.  

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

In Task Manager you need to check the box for Show Processes from All Users to see everything using memory & CPU.  

However since the non paged pool is ridiculously large it's probably a driver with a memory leak.  Usually the network adapter is the culprit.

Search for 

device manager

hit Enter

Find your network adapter and  Update Driver Software.  See if it finds anything.  

OK, Tried the above and it states that network adapter is up to date

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Did you see anything different when you checked Show Processes From All Users?  What is at the top now?

If you disable the network adapter does the non-paged pool memory change?

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Did you see anything different when you checked Show Processes From All Users?  What is at the top now?

If you disable the network adapter does the non-paged pool memory change?

Good morning Rkinner.

I believe you're on the right path after a tiny bit of research. After showing processes from all users nothing out of the ordinary showed at the top.

Just updating network adapter according to some driver scanner updater I just downloaded.

Update: Network adapter updated

Edited by Bosscoe, 05 August 2017 - 05:55 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

But what does show at the top?  Can I see another screenshot?

Go back in to Device Manager.  (Search for device manager and hit Enter)  Right click on your network adapter and Disable.  

Not a big fan of driver scanners.  Too much adware.  Select properties on the network adapters then click on the Details tab.  Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply.