Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Wifi issue..

WIfi slow non-responsive

• Please log in to reply

Conan85

Conan85

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Hi,

I have a weird wifi issue I cant figure out. I even have problems how to explain it, but I will give it a try..:

I have a stationary connected with USB wifi stick.

It worked instantly and perfectly for several weeks, then suddenly it stopped working properly. First I had problems getting it connected with internet connection. Would just say connected, but no internet access. After that I had no problems getting it connected where it said "internet access", but I still didt have internet connection. It would appear as connected, but when trying to load a webpage it would disconnect and the router dissapear from the list of networks availeble. 

I flashed the computer back in time, where the wifi worked, but with no difference. I have tried reinstalling drivers etc etc several times, with no difference. Yes I have tried all USB ports.

When opening a new wifi network by using my cell phone as a router the USB Wifi works perfectly. So it would seem it was a problem with the router.. The only thing is, I have several other items conected to the router it wont function with, and they all work fine.

I have now bought a new USB wifi adapter (of another brand), and it has 95% of the same issues. It may load websites sometimes, but is very slow and unstable. So  unstable it is useless. May stay connected for about a second, or even 30 seconds (but with slow connection), then be disconnected for a few hours. Impossible to load any website even though it says connected with internet access.

Any clues..?

Thanks..

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Conan85,

The only thing is, I have several other items conected to the router it wont function with, and they all work fine.

What is the brand and model name or number of your router.

Try temporarily disconnecting as many of the other wireless devices as you can and then see how the USB dongle/s work, there may be a limit to how many devices your wireless router can handle etc.

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

It is a Jensen Airlink AL29150

Well.. I dont have THAT many. I have a laptop and a cell phone connected to it with stable and fast connection. When visitors come, they are connected to it as well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Well.. I dont have THAT many. I have a laptop and a cell phone connected to it with stable and fast connection. 

Thats odd, why say several when you only have two  :headscratch:

The user manual does not say how many devices the router can handle but fwiw some older ones are limited to 2 or 4, this is usually down to ISP restrictions, a better router costs more for monthly rental if you want to upgrade etc.

How do the USB dongles work if the notebook and mobile phone are not connected to the same wireless network.

Have you tried turning off the notebooks internal wireless device then plugging in the wireless dongle/s into the notebooks USB ports and testing.

Found the following in the Jensen user manual if you haven't already seen the info;

Change channel on the router If you live in urban areas or areas with many wireless networks it is a good chance that your router are using the same channel as one or more routers in the neighborhood. By changing to a channel with less traffic you can get far better performance / coverage. So, which channel is the best one to use? It is difficult to give an easy answer to this, as it totally depends on which channel is in use by the other networks in the area. To help find the best channel we recommend to use software / apps (see list below) that are made for this purpose. Most of these apps can show you which channel that is recommended.

We recommend that you select the channel on which the fewest of the other networks are using. Windows Acrylic WiFi Free - https://www.acrylicw...ylic-wifi-free/inSSIDer - http://www.metageek....ducts/inssider/ WiFi Inspector - http://www.xirrus.co...free-tools/#WFI

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I just put my deviced in flight mode, while trying to connect with the USD dongles. Still the same problems..Connected but no internet access, connected with internett access (but really no internet access), wifi drops out and cannot be found, then comes back and connects again, but still not possible to open a website. Seems like when I put "stress" on the connection, the signal drops from 100% to nothing, then router dissapairs and come back.

Yeah, I live in an urban area. My channels says 6+10. Just one other connection at channel 6 which is far away. Noone else on channel 10.

Thanks for reply btw.

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I am now on the web with the USB dongle in my laptop (internal WIFI disconnected). It is working flawlessly.

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I am now on the web with the USB dongle in my laptop (internal WIFI disconnected). It is working flawlessly. Just not working in the computer it is supposed to... =/

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

I am now on the web with the USB dongle in my laptop (internal WIFI disconnected). It is working flawlessly. Just not working in the computer it is supposed to... =/

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Well.. except for the hickup here when posting, lol. But really, works fine on the laptop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Which device did you put into Flight Mode.

On the computer that has the problem with the USB wireless dongles: Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

We can see that you have had problems with posting but will still ask you to read the following;

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page.  

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Which device did you put into Flight Mode.

On the computer that has the problem with the USB wireless dongles: Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

We can see that you have had problems with posting but will still ask you to read the following for us;

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page.  

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

The laptop and cellphone was in flightmode, so that I could test the USB dongle on the stationary with the router alone.

So to sum up: USB dongle in stationary works fine when I use my cell phone as router. But it does not work with the main router.

My laptop and cell phone works fine with the main router.

The USB dongle when used in the laptop also works fine with the main router.

Here is the link: http://speccy.pirifo...UIZvC7fPvBcmNAU

Note that the stationary had a functioning internet access when it was generated (connected to my cell phone as router). If you need a report while I am connected to the main router without internett access, please say so and I will provide that one as well.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Could be that Windows is disabling the USB ports in an attempt to save power, this is known to cause problems, see How to disable USB selective suspend info here

Getting late here and have an early start in the morning so will be going offline soon, will check back asap tomorrow

Conan85

Conan85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Just deactivated that setting. Thought it worked, but it was only for 5 seconds the internet worked properly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Did this problem first happen after installing a Windows 10 update.

Noticed that you have two Wi-Fi adaptors listed in Speccy, their drivers could be conflicting but have a quick check for you to do first.

Linksys WUSB6100M
Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5

Create a new system restore point, Go to All Settings > System > Projecting to this PC.
Under Windows PCs and phones can project to this PC when you say it's OK > Select the drop down box, select Always Off, restart and test.