Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Non-working Keys on ASUS A54C Laptop (Resolved).

Best Answer TooNew2 , 18 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

The new keyboard, which I ordered Friday afternoon, was supposed to arrive on or before next Wednesday, but was found in the mailbox yesterday (Sunday) afternoon; I'd fairly sure it... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Two nights ago I found my fn-f1 sleep key not working, and later that the keys for e, g and h also don't work. All others do.  An external keyboard plugged into a USB port does function properly. Deleting and reinstalling the keyboard driver made no difference. Updating is current. Correct language is selected.

Keyboard has never been spilled on, nor eaten near. Compressed air doesn't help.

A new keyboard seems available. how can I absolutely confirm the problem is there, not at a connection or in software?

I type this using copy-&-past for those letters. Also Spell-Check. Still tedious...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello TooNew2,

Good troubleshooting done already so the only thing that I can suggest is to check for a system restore point that is before the issue first happened, if not sure how to check, post back and let us know what OS you are running and we will post the steps for you.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I am running Win7,... and that was one of the first troubleshooting steps I tried but it had no effect. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have been told that keypads are sometimes glued on. Can anyone tell me where or how I can get details about this for my unit?

FWIW,the ASUS repair quote (by phone) was nearly as much as the unit cost originally, and I haven't found a local repair shop I trust yet.

This  cut-&-paste of letters reminds me of setting type for a printing press.

Edited by TooNew2, 13 September 2017 - 09:32 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

There are various models of the ASUS A54C notebook and to check on how to replace the keypad we will need the exact model, check here and you will see on how many versions there are.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I believe the full number is A54C-TB91 because the main sticker includes (with different spacing in lines):

Model A54C

MB Ver.   K54C   ID = 5K

C5N0AS7231xxxxC

[Bar Code]

A54C-TB91

Check Number 7756

Warranty = 12M       < GA >

[  etc. ]

This appears to be the correct part but I have written the seller to try to confirm that:

http://www.ebay.com/...l-/172828303912?

Different ads for the same part number have other information which indicates it's correct for -TB91.   

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Looks slightly different to the example that I found here

Not having any luck with finding a disassembly guide, how about you, have you looked.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Not having any luck with finding a disassembly guide, how about you, have you looked.

I did a little but was unsuccessful. I have been trying to find contact numbers for some local computer people I 'sorta' know through the RepairCafe, but so far, nothing there either.

Here is another ad with more compatibility information. All the pictures in cited ads show key markings just like mine, but the cable/circuits could still be different, I suppose.

http://www.ebay.com/...5VVfLq#viTabs_0

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are in a difficult situation, the keypad in your reply #7 says compatible with your exact computer but could take up to the end of October to arrive from China, best wait on the other seller getting back to you imo, free shipping from inside the US has got to be quicker.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I agree, or could take a chance and order the first one which appears the same as the last .... not much lost if it's wrong, and lots saved if correct.

[ I wrote this yesterday but didn't send it then! ]

Edited by TooNew2, 16 September 2017 - 06:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem and please keep us posted on your progress  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

"please keep us posted on your progress"   I will do so.

I finally took a closer look at the unit's top panel and see it has 5 small clips along the keypad top edge which need to be depressed so the pad can be released. I should have looked before! 

I will turn the unit off and remove its battery first, of course. Would grounding straps be advisable when connecting the ribbon? I wouldn't think it necessary, both because I shouldn't be touching conductors, and we have little static electricity here normally. Not dry enough.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks  :thumbsup:

Never worn a grounding strap myself and have always gotten along fine by touching a radiator or the chassis of the computer or PSU.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
✓  Best Answer

The new keyboard, which I ordered Friday afternoon, was supposed to arrive on or before next Wednesday, but was found in the mailbox yesterday (Sunday) afternoon; I'd fairly sure it wasn't there in the morning!

I just did the part exchange, which took a bit longer than I expected. The new ribbon wasn't as stiff, probably being thinner material, and I had some difficulty getting it to go into the connector.  I cut a 1" wide strip of plastic from a milk container to experiment with...originally it actually being 1.010 wide, and I had the same problem, finally getting it to go in after reducing the width to .980". The old ribbon was closer to that, while the new was nearer to a full 1.000", and I considered trimming it but decided against that idea. More persistent effort at pushing it in while trying to keep it bowed a bit finally succeeded in seating it squarely at the correct depth. I was surprised by the trouble occurring.

Anyway, I am now typing normally again, using all keys.

Now comes trying to troubleshoot the old one, if only for education. That will have to wait a while though, so I probably should mark this thread as "Solved"  now.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Edited by TooNew2, 18 September 2017 - 09:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That is great news and a job well done on your behalf  TooNew2  :thumbsup:

FWIW,the ASUS repair quote (by phone) was nearly as much as the unit cost originally, and I haven't found a local repair shop I trust yet.

Hope that you are feeling pleased with yourself, you certainly should be having saved yourself a good few $s  :)

Wouldn`t bother with the old keypad, sounds like the carbon pads on the problem keys were shot so toss it in the trash.

You are welcome btw and once again, good job  :thumbsup:

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Wouldn`t bother with the old keypad, sounds like the carbon pads on the problem keys were shot so toss it in the trash.

But I need to understand how it works, and why it failed. Maybe it's a fatal flaw in my character but it surely beats being the opposite as exemplified by those who sit in front of a TV all day, no matter what's on.