Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

$2k Budget in Canada

• Please log in to reply

Benjamin Michael Hacking

Benjamin Michael Hacking

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey there,

So I'll get right to it. I'm currently disabled and have been for over a year. I'm looking into working from home as a video streamer/reviewer/gamer. However, my system is 11 years old and is on its last legs, so to speak. My father in law has very graciously offered to purchase me a new computer and has given me a budget of $2k. It's not set in stone more a guideline. I can be over, but want to keep it as reasonable as possible. He is, after all, being very generous. The problem is that I know very little about computer hardware and don't know what to look for. I've done plenty of searching online and found a number of sites that suggest this component or that and expect that I'm going to piece it all together. This is not really an option for me. I'm actually looking for the best bang for my buck without having to manually put it all together. 

To the question:

- Can anyone suggest a package that would be ideal for me?

As stated above, I'm looking to stream videos as well as post previously recorded videos, so I'll obviously need a ton of storage space. Also because nobody wants to watch streams or video's with poor-graphic quality, this too will be a must. Obviously, that goes for the video quality of the games I'll be playing as well. I play such titles as Skyrim, Day Z, and Starcraft 2. As well as a host of old, more retro, games such as Diablo 2, Starcraft, and some even older Dos games. I should also state I'm looking for a desktop PC not a laptop. Also, I'm not at all familiar with Mac. So, IBM all the way.

I assume you are affiliated with BestBuy. That is fine. I'm just looking for help in what I should be looking for. Anything you suggest is helpful.

My thanks in advance,

Mike Hacking

Edited by Benjamin Michael Hacking, 02 October 2017 - 07:10 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

are you looking for a custom built solution or a system from best buy? 

If you are going to be streaming and posting on youtube, then you will not only need a decent pc for gaming, but one that can also do some video editing.  For this I highly recommend AMD Ryzen 7 based systems.  Simply put they have all the power at a great price.  Using Best Buy as examples: 

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=5901711

Some thoughts on individual parts:

Video card:  at least a Nvidia 1070 or Radeon RX 580. 

Memory:  more is better.  You can start with 16 and upgrade to 32 later on if needed. 

Storage:  more is better, but the os and core apps can be on the ssd, with data on a large hdd (more is better, but 2tb is a great start). 

Nas:  you probably don't need this when you start out, but you should consider adding storage (especially as you should back up your data).  Synology and Drobo make excellent systems.  at 4 drive model populated with the most storage you ca afford.

Video camera:  Logitech makes some excellent ones.  you will need one for streaming. 

microphone/headset:  a good headset will be needed.  I recommend a headset so you won't pick up extraneous noises from the house , game, ect.

monitor:  for video gaming anything 1080 and above will work.  for video editing, a 4k monitor is recommended as you will need/want more real estate.  If this is too much money, you can opt for a 1080 version of the same monitor:

http://www.dell.com/...tor-accessories

I am not a streaming, but I do play video games on the pc.  I also follow a few people online who do video (@PatrickNorton , @Tekthing , @Snubs)  Patrick recently built a new AMD system and the video editing times significantly improved.  You will probably not be editing to that extent and you can cetainly grow into that level over time. 

For additional info please review the following articles:

http://www.logicalin...icles/streaming

https://www.tomsguid...eview-3009.html