Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphic card nothing on screen (Resolved).

Best Answer waynesplash , 06 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

Bingo, I found that little button on the new R9 290, and it worked. Also it ran both games perfect on their highest settings, I dont get why some people say that their games will not play on their... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

waynesplash

waynesplash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hi there,

Done what you suggested, and the card works in a friends computer ??? Silly question, I do plug in the 8 and 6 from the pS, and not just one of each ??? Ho, and this new PS, has two on switches, would you know what the other are for please ??? Would this problem to be anything in my BIOS, and the integrated graphics or something ??? So odd how everything powes up, or seems to power up, to be honest it does all power up, card and computer, but nothing on screen.

Wayne

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Wayne,

At least you now know that the GPU is working.

I do plug in the 8 and 6 from the pS

Correct, one 6+2 pin and one 6 pin only.

The second switch is for the PSUs cooling fan, when only browsing etc you keep the switch in the off position but when putting the computer under heavy load such as gaming you switch to the on position and it allows the PSU cooling fan to run at higher rpms.

Have you looked in the BIOS for anything UEFI related, see HP info here

Only ever dealt with UEFI BIOS boot problems before and nothing related to add on video cards so if this is related to UEFI and your GPU it is a first for me.

Out of curiosity, can I ask if you know roughly what specs your friends PC has, the MB, CPU + the amount and speed of the RAM mainly.

waynesplash

waynesplash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I can see from my start up screen in the BIOS, mine is legacy. But I am not good on comps. But I thought that this card would not work, because my comp. was lagacy, and my motherboard did not have the hardware UEFI ??? I thought the way the other person was saying it, was the card would not work, because I did not have a certain hardware in my motherboard ??? Please dont answer that if I am making things more complicated.

Not sure what my friends computer was, not that fast, but newer than mine.

Just to recap, mind you I think you have thought of this, its odd way the R9 390 and the GTX, think it was 690 I bought and tried did not work, but the R9 290 did. 

The other person helping me the other week said this; flash the GPU with a legacy BIOS. But I thought mine is a legacy BIOS ???

Wayne

Edited by waynesplash, 28 October 2017 - 01:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The card not working is nothing to do with UEFI BIOS, read the Q & As here and you will see a few people with MBs up to 10 years old using the same card, this long before UEFI became the norm.

What I would suggest you do and in the following order;

1: With the computer shut down, connect your screen to the appropriate video port on the MB, power up and see if you get any display, if you don`t you will have to shut down and remove the 290X, once you have video, install the drivers for the 290x, if the card was not removed, restart and see what happens, if the card was removed, shut down, replace the card and test.

2: If no joy with the above, with the computer shut down, remove the 290X, power up the computer to access the BIOS, once in the BIOS look to see if there is a setting that allows you to select a PCI-E add on video card as the Primary graphics adaptor.

3: Check to make sure that you have the latest BIOS available for your MB, how to check and update the BIOS info here

waynesplash

waynesplash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hi there,

Sorry I should have said, I have a very old card from my old computer, and use this now to get computer on, but need this card I bought to play games on my computer. So yes I can get a display with this very old card. I installed the drivers for you, still no luck with the card in. I found this in the BIOS; PCI  VGA Configuration, Nvidia control primary VGA device, and Intel VGA controller non boot device OCE. I changed the primary to Intel, tried the card, still no luck.

When I plug the wires from the card to the PS, I have them in; VGA1, is that right ???

Wayne

waynesplash

waynesplash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hi, there was a BIOS update, all done. Maybe I should Nvidia control primary VGA device back on and try the card ???

Wayne

waynesplash

waynesplash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I thought this instated, but thought i would look in my downloads, clicked it again, it started to download, then this, I got the card plugged into the 8 and 6 pin, but not in the computer where it supposed sit. Gt computer on integrated graphics at this moment. 

Error 175 – AMD Installer Cannot Continue Due to Unsupported AMD Graphics Hardware.

Wayne

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the late reply, had unexpected visitors land after work yesterday  sad.png

, I got the card plugged into the 8 and 6 pin, but not in the computer where it supposed sit. Gt computer on integrated graphics at this moment. 
Error 175 – AMD Installer Cannot Continue Due to Unsupported AMD Graphics Hardware.

The following from the above is a clue;

I got the card plugged into the 8 and 6 pin, but not in the computer where it supposed sit

The card being attached to the PSU means very little (rather unorthodox I must say though  :yes: ) but the card not being in the slot on the MB means that no AMD card will be detected, running out of ideas now tbh and for me last throw of the dice, it would still be helpful if you could post the specs of your friends computer on which the card worked, meanwhile see attachment below;

waynesplash

waynesplash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Sat the card back in its slot on the computer, with it plugged into the PS, and fund that little button for BIOS, tried both ways, but still nothing on the screen at all. 

Wayne

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
it would still be helpful if you could post the specs of your friends computer on which the card worked, 

Knowing this info may shed some light on why it will not work in your computer.

Advertisements

waynesplash

waynesplash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

And a thank you again for the help.

HP Pavilion 550.

Wayne 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
HP Pavilion 550.

You sure on the model number, there are various models of the HP Pavilion 550 but they all have three things in common, they are all small form factor and could not accommodate an XFX 290x GPU, they only have a 180 uATX power supply that would be too weak to power a 290x + a 180W uATXPSU would not have the 6 pin and 8 pin additional power dongles for such a card, see HP Pavilion 550 models here

waynesplash

waynesplash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Ok, strange, I will try and get in touch with my friend again. Just phoned him, and he says his is a, HP Pavilion 550 Gaming, with a R9 360 in ??? I was not there when he tried it, I gave him the card and asked him the favor when he had time.

Wayne

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

An R9 360 requires a 450W PSU that has at least 33 amps on the +12V rail so the PSU must have been upgraded, still cannot see the card running in such a small computer and especially when it needs 750 watts & 42 amps from the PSU.

waynesplash

waynesplash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Shall I try the card with a trusted friend maybe, as this friend, is not so much a friend, just someone I say ok to. But I mailed the person I bought it off, and they said it was working fine. But I have also bought and sold again, a 390x, and I think it was a gtx 670, and both of them would not work. Maybe I would be better of selling it, and buying another 280, but I wanted this card to play some 4k games, as it has 8GB.

Wayne