Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low gaming performance issues (Resolved).

GTX 1060 16gb ram i5-6600k

Best Answer SteffenKKN , 06 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

Not heard back from you SteffenKKN, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.The computer is now performing far better, so i would say it is reso... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SteffenKKN

SteffenKKN

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I feel like my PC is under-performing heavily when gaming. The latest disappointment is having to pretty much set the graphics to the lowest setting on Playerunkown's Battleground in order to keep a somewhat consistent 60 fps.

My specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K running at 4,1GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16 GB DDR 4

MB: Maximus VIII Ranger

Furthermore i also have the CPU overclocked via the EZmode in BIOS giving it a "22%" overclock, and the GPU is clocked at 1874 MHz with 110% Power Target.

I am considering upgrading to a GTX 1080 but i am not sure if that is where my performance issues lie. Can anyone help clear it up?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   SteffenKKN,

The latest disappointment is having to pretty much set the graphics to the lowest setting on Playerunkown's Battleground 

Couple of questions if I may;

Are all of the games played via Steam and what is the brand and model name or number of your PSU.

SteffenKKN

SteffenKKN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

:welcome:   SteffenKKN,

The latest disappointment is having to pretty much set the graphics to the lowest setting on Playerunkown's Battleground 

Couple of questions if I may;

Are all of the games played via Steam and what is the brand and model name or number of your PSU.

Thanks.

It's a Corsair HX620W, and no it's pretty much anything i play. i upgraded to the GTX 1060 from a GTX 770(or 780) and i pretty much haven't felt any improvement. But if the GPU is the bottleneck of my setup i will replace it. Just want to be sure so i don't end up spending that much money and barely see any improvement.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

A good quality and adequately powered PSU and not being confined to steam only games effectively rules that out.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

You are welcome btw  :)

SteffenKKN

SteffenKKN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

A good quality and adequately powered PSU and not being confined to steam only games effectively rules that out.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

You are welcome btw  :)

http://speccy.pirifo...d3sWweLNyBd1P11

There you go :)

Are you suggesting that the PSU i have now is not that?

Edit: Hope it's not an issue that the OS is not in English. Can see a lot of the output is in Danish.

Edited by SteffenKKN, 27 October 2017 - 04:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Are you suggesting that the PSU i have now is not that?

It's a Corsair HX620W

Is it a 620W or 650W, the 620W HX on the PSU database is listed as CMPSU-620HX and was first released back in 2006 and tbh I mistook 620 for 650 because your other hardware is so recent, your voltages and temps look ok in Speccy btw.

Couple of things of note in Speccy, 1: you have 16GB of RAM (2Xs8GB sticks) but it is running in single as opposed to dual channel mode meaning you are getting reduced performance from the RAM, the RAM should be in slots A2 and B2 on the MB, these look grey in colour in the user manual as opposed to the A1 and B1 slots being black., what slots do you have your RAM in. 2; you download torrents, the quickest way to get infected by malware, even if we manage to resolve this here I would suggest that you get your computer checked for malware, I will provide the malware redirection info for you at some point.

SteffenKKN

SteffenKKN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Is it a 620W or 650W, the 620W HX on the PSU database is listed as CMPSU-620HX and was first released back in 2006 and tbh I mistook 620 for 650 because your other hardware is so recent, your voltages and temps look ok in Speccy btw.

Couple of things of note in Speccy, 1: you have 16GB of RAM (2Xs8GB sticks) but it is running in single as opposed to dual channel mode meaning you are getting reduced performance from the RAM, the RAM should be in slots A2 and B2 on the MB, these look grey in colour in the user manual as opposed to the A1 and B1 slots being black., what slots do you have your RAM in. 2; you download torrents, the quickest way to get infected by malware, even if we manage to resolve this here I would suggest that you get your computer checked for malware, I will provide the malware redirection info for you at some point.

It's the 620W yes.

The ram are currently in B1 and B2 but will switch the over right after this post. And thank you for that information :)

As for the torrent's i DL from a members only site where the uploaders are trusted. But i won't deny that there could still be malware exposure i guess.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That is a rather old PSU and well out of warranty but as said your voltages look ok in Speccy, they will change under load so we should at some point check them.

Will wait on your update regarding the RAM for now.

Torrent info acknowledged.

SteffenKKN

SteffenKKN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...LrPShohWbWOX0wi

Ram's are in the right slots now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Any improvement at all:

Download, run then post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the Options tab and then put a tick against the top three options.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

Advertisements

SteffenKKN

SteffenKKN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I have bought a GTX 1080 now, since i am pretty sure the issue was the GPU. Will test it when it arrives and let you know whether it's solves my issue or not. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I have bought a GTX 1080 now, 

Please tell me that you are also purchasing a new PSU as well and not going to risk using a potentially 11 year old PSU with a shiny new and rather expensive video card  :alarm:

SteffenKKN

SteffenKKN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I have bought a GTX 1080 now, 

Please tell me that you are also purchasing a new PSU as well and not going to risk using a potentially 11 year old PSU with a shiny new and rather expensive video card  :alarm:

I did :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad to hear it, will look out for your next update  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you SteffenKKN, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.