Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ahhh. Silly me.. :P I see you did post your make, model and specs in your profile:

Asus x540SA notebook. 4GB ram, 500GB HDD

If we can get you into the system, you will not need to return the laptop for repair. From personal experience, ASUS will charge you approximately $200 to reload the HDD. ASUS should have a single push button process to access the recovery partition, at least they did prior to Windows 10. You should not need the product key for this process. Cross your fingers this has not changed.

Please try the following and let us know if this works to access the recovery partition:

Restart the computer and as soon as you see the ASUS logo display on the screen, start tapping or hold the F9 key on the keyboard. This should bring you to a screen where you select Windows Setup (EMS enabled). This should take you to a menu that shows the various partitions on your computer where you can select the recovery the partition. I am not sure what that screen looks like so if you are not sure what to select, do nothing and stop to ask for our help. Post what partitions you see and we can guide you from there.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
The video below shows when to start pressing the F9 key:

After thoughts...

For reset feature to work, you must have recovery partition on your disk. If you have deleted this partition to save up space, then reset feature will not work. Please tell me you did not delete this partition to save space. This could be your last hope.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Hi, i do  beleive the pc still had the recovery partition intact before bsod issue. But iam losing hope here. All i get is the restart blue screen message.  On that note, i took pc in for a diagnose. The tech guy said they could move my exsisting data onto new hdd but! I will lose the activation key. Same with resetting,  key would be lost. Dang it, i should have saved the key on piece of paper. Anyway, the total cost is about same as i would buy new one.. Still hanging onto hope though

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Ok, i tapped f9 i see same layout.."recovery" "your pc couldnt start properly. A required device isnt connected or cant be accessed. Error code 0x000000f youll need to use recovery tools, press enter to try again, press f8 for startup settings, press esc for uefi firmware settings

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
The tech guy said they could move my exsisting data onto new hdd but! I will lose the activation key. Same with resetting,  key would be lost. 

Neither of which are true, your product key is tied to the MB and unless the MB is changed the product key will be automatically detected by MS after any clean install of Windows/activation.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

The tech guy said they could move my exsisting data onto new hdd but! I will lose the activation key. Same with resetting,  key would be lost. 

Neither of which are true, your product key is tied to the MB and unless the MB is changed the product key will be automatically detected by MS after any clean install of Windows/activation.

Replies like this peak my fading hopes up a bit. Why would the tech guy lie? Odd. Whats mb?

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

He is right you dont need your key to reinstall

What is the Digital Entitlement or Digital License?

When you upgrade from a previous version of Windows, what happens is the hardware, (your PC), will get a digital license. This is a unique signature of the computer which is stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics product key. 

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. 

The only exception where this applies is dependent on the license you upgraded from. If you change your motherboard and originally you upgraded from a Windows 7 OEM or Windows 8 OEM license, then your Digital Entitlement will be invalidated. You will need to purchase a new full version license.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I am curious if you ever tried the following to repair your registry and see if it worked or if you werent comfortable with this procedure?

Restore Windows 10 Registry from Command Prompt.

https://theitbros.co...-restore-point/

Edited by dmccoy, 11 November 2017 - 03:15 PM.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Hi, this pc i bought already had w10 installed. I dont know anything about digital sig info.  Where should i look for this digital sig? AFAIK, the motherboard has not been tampered with. I did read some articles where you dont have to activate key after reinstall os...but some programs might not work as intended...oh this bsod and activation key making me stressed. As for registry, i could try using the cmd option thats built into aomei program hmm

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
@ dmccoy, Your link became botched somehow during submitting your last post. I can not access it. :(

Replies like this peak my fading hopes up a bit. Why would the tech guy lie? Odd. Whats mb?

Not to worry. When the tech guy reinstalls, he will use a retail disc and what is called a Volume License Key (VLK) that Tech shops purchase from Microsoft that can be used on a specific number of computers. I don't recall if the original product key will still be there when he finishes or if it will be overwritten by the VLK one.

When you get the computer back you can use the Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder I mentioned in post 4 to find the product key though the tech guy should write it down for you.

MB stands for motherboard. :)

Did you take the laptop to the shop already?

Advertisements

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Yes the diagnose was not encouraging news. Since i cannot get past the blue screen message "pc ran into problem, will restart -100%" thats when tech guy said they could replace hdd but lose key etc..all i want for mybirthday wish is to get back on pc normally

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Malcolm, This is a first time experience for you, so I can understand how you feel like it might be the end of world. It's not as bad as you think. Just mark this up as an educational experience. What happened to your computer is how I learned about all this computer stuff and how to help others. Trust me, that birthday wish will come true when you get your computer back. Your profile does not say when that special day is, but Happy Birthday to you when that day comes.

When you get the laptop back I would like to see if you are able to create a recovery USB so that if this ever happens in the future you have a way to reinstall yourself. You might even ask the tech guy if he could make one for you, though I am sure he will charge you for it.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I asked if they could make one, he declined. Same with downloading iso file. But this digital signature is intriguing...

Birthday is on nov 26th :prop:

Too bad about recovery screen, it just wont do anything.. Error 0x000000f everytime. I will also contact asus about them resetting pc and whether or not my activation key can be saved. But! Iam seriously thinking about buying new pc, asus is nothing but problems

Edited by Malcolm1777, 11 November 2017 - 04:07 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok, when you get it back let us know. My buddy who owns a tech shop uses branded OEM discs to reinstall that way the recovery partitions will be intact. Hopefully this guy will do the same. We can check that out and if possible guide you on how to create your own recovery USB/disc. There are other options as well.

Did he give a time when the laptop will be finished and ready to pick up? Should only take a day or so to complete unless he is super busy at the shop.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I still have pc with me. After he gave me 2 options (transfer data from old hdd to new one) ill have to buy new key to activate, (buy install disk) key again would have to buy new, i got scared lol. And even if they are lying about the key issue, i have no power to convince them that isnt true

Also i do have that keyfinder on flash. But when try to run, message said (to find a version for your pc, check with the software publisher)

Edited by Malcolm1777, 11 November 2017 - 04:28 PM.