Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

3 beeps

• Please log in to reply

bobbygene

bobbygene

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I am putting a fresh computer together for my self. Mostly from parts laying around in my workroom, nothing really modern, but not ancient either. With the basics together using an Intel® Desktop Board D945GCL, I fired it up and get 3 long beeps. No video or nothing. I used to know what the beeps mean, but old age is bad for memory. Can someone please tell me what to do next. Thank you, reb

Advertisements

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

3 beeps mean Memory error.

Reseat the memory to see if any difference. If no change-try with one stick of memory, then the other to determine which one is bad, or  if both need replacing.
    Make sure that the contacts on the memory and the socket are clean.
    Try removing one bank of memory modules at a time. (Some systems can require a memory module in Bank 0.)
    Try using memory modules from the same manufacturer with the same part number and speed.
    Check for a faulty memory module by trying the memory in a known good system.