Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTX980 or GTX1060

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I can afford to upgrade to a GTX980 4gb or a GTX1060 6gb. I'm wondering which would be better for my gaming system. I play allot of space and flight sims and some fps and rpg. I dont have a VR set yet but it's definitely on my list. I do occasionally do the poor mans VR with my smart phone. So, which one would work better with my system, 980 or 1060?
The rest of my system is an i4970 @ 3.6ghz and 16gb of 1866 DDR3.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

a quick check shows that the 980 is still running <500.00 USD online.  While the 1060 runs about 300.  The 1060 is a very good card for the money.  the 980 has a slight lead in 1080p gaming, while the reverse happens when going to 4k resolution.  The later is important especially for VR.  Add the fact that it has more memory and that further enhance its value.  Go for the 1060 and enjoy your gaming.