Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My internet keeps going out

• Please log in to reply

Xyphien

Xyphien

• Pip
  • 6 posts

My internet randomly will show up a yellow triangle and will no longer work. Clicking Trouble shoot problems works most of the time, and says "reset the Wifi Adapter" then it works. However it does this a few times a day, and at random. I've installed the latest drivers, ran system updates to see if I have anything I needed to update, and so far I have nothing. What do you think the problem would be?

I'm using an Aorus X7 V2 Laptop, and running Windows 10, latest update.

Edited by Xyphien, 02 December 2017 - 02:03 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference

Interference

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.

Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

Xyphien

Xyphien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I understand that, however I'm running on a 5ghz connection. My xbox receives everything fine, so does my phone. It's only my computer that is effected. I believe it's a problem with the computer itself.

Edited by Xyphien, 02 December 2017 - 03:34 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Not entirely, no. Wireless signals traveling through the air will never be as reliable as a wired connection.

Xyphien

Xyphien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Not entirely, no. Wireless signals traveling through the air will never be as reliable as a wired connection.

For certain games I have to use my roommates laptop so it won't drop connection. I'm almost 100% certain it's a computer issue and not the router. Literally no other device has any problems but mine. If it helps, some times when I turn off the wireless on my computer it won't turn back on. It almost grays out and I can't click on it. I then have to restart my computer to have it work again. Also, if my wireless ever drops, restarting my computer also fixes it.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

It might be worthwhile trying a different wireless network adapter, to see if that fixes things.

An inexpensive USB version costs only a pound or two or a dollar or three...

Regards

paws

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I agree. When the problem is due to flaky laptop wireless, I recommend the Wsky dual-band adapter that has a little antenna. Works great. https://smile.amazon...ky wifi adapter