Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans Spin then stop Please help (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 01 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

No need to quote every reply deadlynutcream69, you will understand why when you see the checklist below    With the computer and screen powered down and disconnected from the wa... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

deadlynutcream69

deadlynutcream69

• Pip
  • 7 posts

A few days ago my family decided to map out my house for the breaker in the basement, stupid me forgot to power off my psu, nothing turned on been working on it the past few days. Bought a new PSU tested if worked and it does. plugged into only my MOBO and started it. worked fine nothing wrong. put PSU back in case and plugged in all the wires. Fan spins for a split second then stops. not sure what is going on being i didn't have this issue literally 5 minutes ago. any ideas please

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    deadlynutcream69,

A few days ago my family decided to map out my house for the breaker in the basement, 

Sorry but not sure what you mean by the above!

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, the RAM (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) - the old one and the replacement) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

deadlynutcream69

deadlynutcream69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

:welcome:    deadlynutcream69,

A few days ago my family decided to map out my house for the breaker in the basement, 

Sorry but not sure what you mean by the above!

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, the RAM (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) - the old one and the replacement) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Its an older build my brother did for me. its is custom with an Asus P8z77-v LK MB c8mobx185318 serial number, and g.skill ripjawsX 4*2, old psu was the MODxstream-pro 700W, new psu EVGA 750 BQ, a geforce gtx 770 today i decided i would try and manually power up the MB, i only plugged the PSU into the two power slots for the MB and it started perfectly fine, when i plugged everything else in and went to start to cpu fan spins for a split second then stops

Edited by deadlynutcream69, 01 January 2018 - 12:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

No need to quote every reply deadlynutcream69, you will understand why when you see the checklist below  :thumbsup:

With the computer and screen powered down and disconnected from the wall socket;

Disconnect the screen to the GTX 770.

Press the chassis power on button for a while to get rid of any residual charge in the MB.

Ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Remove the CMOS battery from the MB.

Remove the GTX 770 from the MB.

Remove both sticks of RAM.

Disconnect any HDDs and optical drives from the PSU and MB, secure the cables neatly out of the way,

Check that the 24 pin power connection is secure, the same for the 8 pin CPU power connection and the 4 pin CPU cooling fan connection.

Connect the screen to the appropriate DVI or HDMI video port on the MB,

Insert a single stick of RAM in slot A2 which is the second one away from the CPU.

Reinsert the CMOS battery.

Connect the computer and screen to the power outlet/s, power up, post back with an update for us.

deadlynutcream69

deadlynutcream69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

it started up, im looking at my screen it say American megatrends with my specs. front fan of pc isnt on ( dont know if that important or not)

deadlynutcream69

deadlynutcream69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

its asking to setup recovery BIOS setting

Edited by deadlynutcream69, 01 January 2018 - 01:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

it started up, im looking at my screen it say American megatrends with my specs. front fan of pc isnt on ( dont know if that important or not)

Positive news but not home and dry just yet.

its asking to setup recovery BIOS setting

Normal behaviour, what we need to do now is long winded but more accurate  :thumbsup:

With the computer and screen powered down and disconnected from the wall socket (not the screen to the MB though, keep it connected).

Press the chassis power on button for a while to get rid of any residual charge in the MB.

Ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Reconnect your HDD to the MB and PSU.

Swap the first stick of RAM out to test just the second stick in the same slot.

Connect the computer and screen to the power outlet/s, power up while tapping the Delete key that gets you into the BIOS, reset the time and date, save and exit the BIOS, if all good, boot into Windows then post back with an update for us.

deadlynutcream69

deadlynutcream69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

computer does not turn on

deadlynutcream69

deadlynutcream69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

okay another update, booted up perfectly i replaced wires and the input place for the hdd into the mb

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

So with the second stick of RAM now tested and the connections secure you have booted into Windows.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page.  

deadlynutcream69

deadlynutcream69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank you so much for the help, everything is working perfectly and i plugged in the gfx and its working, appreciate it so much.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Great news, glad we could help and thanks for letting us know that all is well with your computer  :)

Well done for sticking with it as well btw  :thumbsup: