Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bladabindi and potentially more

• Please log in to reply

Kouzelnik666

Kouzelnik666

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello everyone,

I found a very old laptop with windows Vista installed that wasn't in use for quite a long time and is potentially full of malware.

Currently there is ESET NOD 32 Antivirus 7 installed which found about 35 threats and cured them but there is (at least) Bladabindi trojan wreaking havoc in the operating memory and I'd like to get rid of it.

I'm not entirely sure if this is caused by the viruses but I'm having trouble with installing security programs. I downloaded Malwarebytes and the download failed for first 5 times, then after killing some processes it downloaded but the setup wouldn't run. After reboot it installed and the scan result will be attached later (when it's finished). I also downloaded MS Security Essentials but the installation failed (left it all night but it didn't install and it wouldn't exit the installation neither, I had to kill the process).

I do have a licence for ESET Smart Security but I'm afraid to upgrade it because of the previous experience. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Kouzelnik666,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

Do you still need help?

For starters, not sure if you are aware that Windows Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft to receive security updates as of April 11, 2017. From my understanding support for Microsoft Security Essentials would discontinue shortly thereafter since a mere 1% of the population uses Vista.

ESET NOD 32 Antivirus continues to support Windows Vista though as you can see in the link, ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 7 is a previous release and will need to be updated to version 11. You can check to see if your version is still supported at this link.

As for your experience with Malwarebytes, Windows Vista SP1 and above should be supported so this could be the result of the malware. If you finally got the scan result, please copy/paste into your next reply.

Let's have a closer look at the system. Please do as follows:

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to your desktop from one of the links below:

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64.

Note: You will need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version (32 or 64-bit) applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right click on the FRST.exe and choose Run as administrator.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Under Optional Scan make sure there is a checkmark in the box for Addition.txt to ensure it creates that 2nd log.
  • Press Scan button.
  • Please attach both logs in your next reply.