Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering data from HDD with problems

• Please log in to reply

junaith

junaith

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All

I have a problem with my hard disk below. Can anyone please help me on ways to recover the data from this disk? Thanks.

System Details:

- Seagate BarraCuda 2.5" 2 TB internal model (ST2000LM007).

- Lenovo G400s laptop with Windows 7.

The problem started after hard shut down.

The BIOS can sometimes detect the HDD correctly but sometimes can't find it. 
When detected, during POST I can even select "Launch Startup Repair" or "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" options.

At one time the Windows was able to go into Safe mode successfully but now can't again after hard shut down.

Now when either of the above options are selected the computer screen becomes black for sometimes then will reboot or will say
Disk Not Found / Disk Read Write Error or will just go to other boot media.

When I tested this disk with an external enclosure sometimes the Device Manager detects it but the Disk Management doesn't display it.
If it is detected then the enclosure's LED blinks. 
Then after sometime it is not found even in the Device Manager and the LED colour changes and stops blinking. 

While the disk was in the external enclosure and connected to the USB port,
I can feel and hear it spinning and there is no clicking or any other sound but 
just a normal humming/spinning sound. The disk and the enclosure is also hot at this time.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:  junaith,

Try Partition Find & Mount 

Let us know how it goes.

junaith

junaith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks phillpower2, I will try and update.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome and good luck  :thumbsup:

Laurence Burke

Laurence Burke

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Friend, did it work for you?

junaith

junaith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Friend, did it work for you?

No Laurence. The software can't recognize this HDD even though the Device Manager recognizes it for a while. Hope I can recover my disk and the data.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
The more you use the Computer, the less chance of recovering them with any program, because the Files are quickly overwritten.

What I always suggest is as follows and it has worked for me in the past:

Using a second computer to download and install Free Recuva Portable to a flash drive, then running Recuva from the flash drive on the computer that has the lost files seems to be the safest way to get the best success.

You could also try slaving the drive by using an external enclosure and downloading Free Recuva (or same link above) to your desktop if you don't have a second computer.