Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AIMP Q's

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I just checked out AIMP Player yesterday and upon tweaking the Equalizer a little bit, immediately achieved noticeably better sound than with my up to now Media Player of choice - VLC.  

The trouble is, it IS a bit confusing.  I do have some questions ... IF there is someone here who is very familiar with AIMP.  I checked out the AIMP forums, but with their forte being in Russian, it was immediately evident that the English forum was not going to be a strong, solid and productive source from which to get help.  Stuff was definitely going to get lost in the translation.

I Googled for an AIMP tutorial, but nothing really came up.  The only tutorial YouTube that I attempted to download, wasn't able to be parsed by my 4K Video Downloader.

So yeah ... any AIMP Expert here?

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Sorry, not an expert, but firing up my favourite search engine found something that may help you map your research.
See if any of the tutorials here help:
https://www.youtube....urce=opensearch

You may need to tweak your language skills for some of them!
Regards
paws

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Well, Paws, the thing is that I have Dial Up Internet.  So, it's not really conducive to hit & miss as to which one of those will be a great tutorial that will hit the spot and answer my questions.

Actually, I have since figured out several of the issues.  While I still have a few minor questions, really I'm down to one main problem.  That is the problem of how to make it REALLY truly Portable.  In other words, oh sure, I'm running the PortableApps.com version from my Flash Drive and everything is for the most part working great.  I learned how to set up the Music Library and how to create the Playlists.  And I learned how to back up the settings, the look, playlists and the music library ... in theory.  In reality though, the problem is that the playlists and the music library are referenced to my MAIN Flash Drive's J:Drive designation.  When all that stuff (the Profile) is installed in my other Flash Drive's AIMP with I:Drive designation ... the playlists and music library of course do not work because they are looking for J:Drive.

I have the same issue with my playlists on VLC.  After chatting with 2 guys (one of them a Dev) over at the VLC forums and trying out several ideas, it was eventually determined that I was asking for something that at this point VLC does not do.

So who knows?  Maybe with AIMP I am likewise asking for something that AIMP does not do.  I would think though that BOTH VLC and AIMP should be able to do what I'm asking because if a Portable version of both exists, then they should be Portable.  They should be able to play my playlists anywhere and everywhere on ANY computer and from any Flash Drive ... not just from my 1 desktop computer and my MAIN Flash Drive on which they were created.

Oh well, Paws, I'll conduct a little bit more experimenting this afternoon / evening.  If I cannot find the solution to this particular problem, I might have to break down and toss my questions over at the AIMP English forum.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Sounds like a plan!

Good luck, and hope you get a result.

Just a final thought... I take it you have tried altering the flash drive's drive letter so everything matches?

Regards

paws

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Yes, Paws, even back when I was messing with the same issue on VLC, I did alter the drive letter assignment of another Flash Drive to J:Drive and no dice.  Apparently somehow there is something in the inner workings of the code of the saved playlists that can distinguish that it is no longer THE ORIGINAL J:Drive, but rather just another Flash Drive reassigned to J:Drive.

Thanks for giving it a go, Paws.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Great news, Paws.  I did get THE solution to that lack of true portability problem.  I did register at the AIMP forums and posted my problem.  Almost as soon as I had posed my question, I immediately got a suggestion from someone to uncheck a certain setting.

At first, while the results changed to being better and promising as per the error I would get, the playlists still didn't play in my I:Drive.  Later suddenly out of the blue, in thinking about the exact details of the path mentioned in the error message, it got me to recheck the actual Folder Tree Layout in my I:Drive.  I had ASSUMED it was exactly the same as that in my J:Drive.  Well, it turns out it was NOT.  It was missing 1 level.  The "Videos" folder should have been inside a "Documents" folder.  I quickly fixed that and the solution suggestion from that guy at the AIMP forum worked like a charm.

I still have more questions for him, but at least the biggest problem that had been dogging me has now been squashed.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

that's great news, well done!

:thumbsup:

If you have a moment could you please share with us the solution that you found?

The search engines will be indexing these posts and anyone in the future who is faced with a similar issue will bless the name of Chimiti

as it could be of great assistance to them.

Regards

paws

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Sure thing, Paws.  I have attached an image with the 1 setting change that has to be made.  Of course, I have to reiterate what I mentioned in my previous comment.  IF you're dealing with playing the playlists on an AIMP on another drive other than the one on which you created the playlists ... make sure that the Folder Tree Layout is the same on the other drive as on the drive where the playlists were created.  This way when the drive letter does get reassigned as per that setting that you changed, the rest of the path WILL be the same.

Attached Thumbnails

• AIMP True Portability Setting.jpg

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Many thanks

:thumbsup:

Regards

paws