Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are the symptoms of hardware problems?

• Please log in to reply

Rhystic

Rhystic

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

My computer sometimes does not do anything when I hit the power, so I have to force shut it down then start it up again until it finally starts. I was wondering if this was a hardware issue because I checked my event viewer and there were no errors at the time of my start up. And if it is a hardware issue, which part or parts could it be? Thanks.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Read THIS

Rhystic

Rhystic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My computer is a pre-built eMachines, and the only hardware changes i've made to it are a graphics card, ati radeon 9200 SE 128mb, and recently a new stick of Kingston 512MB DDR 400 PC3200 ram into my computer.

So I don't really feel safe tearing apart my computer..... any other suggestions maybe? I also learned that even when I do get my computer to start up properly, it goes into that black screen after running for about 30 seconds.

Edited by Rhystic, 18 June 2005 - 10:04 PM.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Did you try updating your drivers as well as your windows update?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you tried clearing CMOS? It sounds more complicated than it is, but you already seem comfortable installing parts, so you shouldn't have any trouble locating your motherboard manual and seeing how they say to do it. Usually, you just disconnect the power cord, the power supply from the motherboard, and reset the jumper pins for 30 seconds. Then you put it all back together, reboot, and check your BIOS settings. Check the order of what is set to boot first. it may be trying to boot to a device it can't find, and stalling the works.

Johanna

Rhystic

Rhystic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah I fully updated windows, as for my video drivers, I think they are fine as is, another thing about my computer I forgot to mention was it has been running fine for about a year and a half now, and this problem is something new.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Dont you suspect malwares on it? Read Here

Try reading articles on BootDisk.

Rhystic

Rhystic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'll read the bootdisk stuff, but I followed all the malware instructions using adaware and spybot and I still have this problems. :tazz:

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
How about fixing the registry, download and install Tune Up Utilities, a 30-day trial version. Go to Clean up & Repair > Tune-up Registry Cleaner.

Rhystic

Rhystic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I want to try clearing the registry, but my computer will no longer work for more than 20-30 seconds, which is not enough time to download and intall that tune-up program, btw, I'm on my other computer. I am currently trying to clear my CMOS... I'll see how that goes. But any other suggestions would really help. :tazz:

Edited by Rhystic, 18 June 2005 - 11:10 PM.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
What do you mean? As soon as windows boots up, what happens next? any error message?

Rhystic

Rhystic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
There is no error or anything, the computer is running normally, then suddenly the computer screen turns black, all the keyboard lights freeze or turn off and my optical mouse light also turns off. All that's left is a black screen on my monitor.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
That must be hardware related, how about giving a shot on this steps: http://www.geekstogo...ms_-t28727.html

Rhystic

Rhystic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
For most of the instructions at the link, I have no idea how to do them, and as I said earlier my computer was a pre-built computer, and I'm not too comfortable trying things like removing the motherboard, currently I'm resetting the CMOS, I'll let you know how that goes. (btw to reset the CMOS since I couldn't pin point the jumper cables, I removed the battery from the motherboard). Thanks.

Edited by Rhystic, 18 June 2005 - 11:41 PM.

Rhystic

Rhystic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I believe I cleared my CMOS, but not my computer will not boot up like before, everytime I hit the power button, the fans start up and I can see the battery light turn on, but nothing else starts up--only the black screen shows. I will try to boot it up again tomorrow.

Edited by Rhystic, 19 June 2005 - 12:31 AM.