Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC build not posting

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Hi all,

So I just put together a new build. I did this same thing 6 years ago with lots of help from here, and had no problems other than a faulty hard drive that hung during the Win 7 install.

This time after assembly I'm not getting anything. No beeps, no video input to the monitor, nothing. Power appears to be fully functioning as far as I can tell, it's just not posting to the UEFI (BIOS).

Here's my specs:

Motherboard - ASRock AB350 Pro4

CPU - AMD Athlon X4 950 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.5 GHz Socket AM4 65W

RAM - G.SKILL Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

Hard Drive - WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX

Power - EVGA 450 BT 100-BT-0450-K1 450W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case - APEX SK-386-C Black ATX Mid Tower

Monitor - Dell E Series E2013H Black 20" 1600 x 900 5ms 60Hz Monitor, 250 cd/m2, DVI-D, VGA

Intended OS - Windows 10 Home - 64-bit - OEM

Those are all brand new. I also have the following used components installed:

Video Card - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 DirectX 12 ZT-P10500A-10L 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

CD/DVD Drive - LITE-ON DVD Burner

Rear Case Fan - Generic, scavenged 10 years ago.

Both of the used components were working perfectly 30 minutes before final assembly.

So far I've checked the following:

Tried hooking the monitor up to all video outputs on back of case (2 Mobo/ 1 Vid Card). Hooked monitor up to old PC and it worked fine. It has Auto-Select for which type of cable, too, so it should adjust to anything I tried.

Put the new HDD in old PC. It showed in Disk Management, but I couldn't find any info on whether that means it's healthy or not.

Checked all power connections. Like I said before, all power seems to be fine. CD/DVD drive opens and closes. Case fan, CPU fan, Vid Card fan, Keyboard LED, and Front Case Power LED are all on and working. I can even use the Power-Down function of the Front Power button to turn off the PC instead of having to yank the cord or use the PSU On/Off switch.

Checked all my Motherboard Header pins. As far as I can tell, they're all connected in the right places and seated securely. This Case did come with one of those unmounted speakers which is new to me, and I tried plugging that in both ways it would fit since my Case and Motherboard had different instructions regarding how to do it. Got no beeps in either direction.

Tried booting with only 1 stick of RAM: nothing again.

So that's everything I've tried so far. Whether this is a bad component, compatibility issue, assembly goof, or I'm not doing the posting procedure right, I'm under some time pressure. I only have 14 days left to take advantage of Newegg's free return & replacement policy, otherwise I'll have to RMA through the manufacturers. If I've forgotten any info you need, sorry, just tell me. I'll be grateful for any help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Cabranth,

Tried hooking the monitor up to all video outputs on back of case (2 Mobo/ 1 Vid Card). 

You will not get video from the MBs video ports when using an Athlon CPU, that option only applies to compatible APU processors.

The MB has two PCI-E slots, have you tried your GPU in both of them.

When you tried the DVI port on the MB had you removed the add on video card from the MBs PCI-E slot first. 

This Case did come with one of those unmounted speakers which is new to me, 

Not sure what you mean, do you have a link to the type of speaker to which you refer, I`m only familiar with the type in the attachment below;

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Hi phillpower, thank you for your reply.

Yes, that's the speaker I meant. Last case I bought (same manufacturer) had the case speaker already mounted inside the front panel. I did find out the proper orientation to plug in the header, though, so it's in correctly.

You will not get video from the MBs video ports when using an Athlon CPU, that option only applies to compatible APU processors.

So you're saying that my mobo is only compatible with APUs? Is that why it's not posting?

If so, would you recommend getting a mobo that is compatible (if there are any), or getting an APU? I chose this CPU because it was rated almost at the top in price/performance, and I'm on a budget. The 3.5 MHz Quad Core and RAM speeds are so much higher than I have now, and looked really sweet.

I did see an APU with similar specs for about $20 more, is this what I need? https://www.newegg.c...N82E16819113451

Edited by Cabranth, 28 February 2018 - 06:47 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Cabranth,

Speaker info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

So you're saying that my mobo is only compatible with APUs? Is that why it's not posting?

No, your CPU is compatible with the board and what I was pointing out that only certain CPUs that are compatible with the board have integrated graphics, the following from the specs at your Newegg link for the MB;

Integrated AMD Radeon R-Series Graphics in A-series APU*

*Actual support may vary by CPU

Specs for the AMD Athlon X4 950 Bristol Ridge CPU  here state that there are no integrated graphics on the processor.

The MB has two PCI-E slots, have you tried your GPU in both of them.

When you tried the DVI port on the MB had you removed the add on video card from the MBs PCI-E slot first. 

Can you also answer the above for us if you will.

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Hi phillpower,

Ok, I tried all the variables you mentioned regarding trying the mobo ports with the video card removed, as well as putting the card in the 2nd expansion slot. Sill no beeps and no video input to the monitor.

Because of what you said yesterday I looked again and I noticed something. While the Athlon X4 950 Bristol Ridge does appear on ASRock's supported CPU/APU list for my mobo, the MPN there is different from mine.

ASRock's page: AD950XAGM44AB

Newegg's page: AD950XAGABBOX

Does this mean anything?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Cabranth,

ASRock's page: AD950XAGM44AB

Newegg's page: AD950XAGABBOX

What the above means, the first is an OEM processor that does not ship with a stock cooler while the second one does, they are both the same processor and so both are compatible with your board.

You mention that the case speaker is now connected to your MB correctly, try removing both sticks of RAM and powering up to see if you get any beeps, if you do it points towards an add on video card problem, if you do not get any error beeps and you are 100% sure that the chassis speaker that you have both works and is connected correctly trying an alternative GPU and having the GTX 1050 tested would be appropriate.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Did you ever resolve this Cabranth?