Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

computersrstupid

computersrstupid

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Can u help me? i was on my other computer and i was cleaning up my pc using a thing i dowloaded and it was on c:/ and i pushed shread by mistake and it deleted a lot of files i guess and i can get the rest of the files if i reinstall windows but i can't even run it in safe mode it says file vmm32.vxd is needed to run windows you may need to install windows again but i don't kno how i 'm going to do that if it won't let me go into safe mode can you please tell me hot to install it or do i have to take it to a special computer place or get a new computer will i even be able to fix or did i break it forgood

can someone help me as soon as possible i really need your help!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You're not the only one

http://www.geekstogo...72

Edited by Keith, 18 June 2005 - 08:03 PM.

Hot-And-Single

Hot-And-Single

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey I had Tha Same Problem

Edited by Hot-And-Single, 19 June 2005 - 10:41 AM.

computersrstupid

computersrstupid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
:tazz: Is There Somthing I can Type IN To Install Windows 98 From Command Promt Only or Somthing Because Theres Too Many FIles Deleted It Keeps Saying That C:\windows\system\vmm32\ios.vxd is missing but i put it on tha floppy disc but its still not working And same with c:\windows\system\ios.vxd and two others thaqt i don't have on my other computer thats vnetsup.vxd,vredir.vxd and dfs.vxd those aren't on my good computer

Can You Help Me?
Or Did I mess My Computer Up too Badly And It Can't Be Fixed?

Please Help As Soon As Possible

Thank you ;)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The computer is fine, apart from the operating system, which will take an hour tops to sort out :tazz:

If you have files on your computer you want to keep, boot the PC, keep tapping the delete key right after the beep until it shows the BIOS set up screens, look for boot priority and set it to run from CD ROM then the hard drive, usually C.
Load the Windows CD then, press F10 to save the boot priority change, type Y to confirm, then press enter to reboot.

As it reboots, choose load from CD ROM, then follow Windows set up instructions and keep ignoring anything about already having Windows on there.

You need the Product Key, it will install over the top and get you to a point where it will load properly, then you would be best to back up your files etc, then format the drive and do a clean install.

What is easier is if you do not having anything important on the drive, then you can go straight for the format and reinstall.

To do this, boot the PC and keep tapping the F8 key or else the F5 key right after the beep until you get options, choose command prompt only, type format c: then press enter, type Y to confirm and it will take 20 mins to format the drive, press enter when it mentions volume, load the Windows CD, press the ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

As it reboots, choose Windows set up and follow the instructions, it will reboot at least twice during the installation, do not press anything when it says about choosing to load from the CD or hard drive, the only details you will need to fill in are regional options and the product key, choose default installation options throughout.

Edited by Keith, 19 June 2005 - 12:18 PM.

computersrstupid

computersrstupid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright I did tha setup but windows still isn't starting its still missing files all oof them were somthing .vxd under windows\system\vmm32 and in tha setup every once in a while it would say windows setup cannot install because its missing a path or somthing like that.

ps. wat happens wen you format a drive?

thanks for helping me so quickly

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you format the drive, you remove Windows, all documents, music and video files, programmes and drivers.

Before you do this, you need to have the software CD's for any programmes you want / already have on the PC, unless they can be downloaded.

computersrstupid

computersrstupid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Oh isee but tha windows setup didn't work every once in a while it would say unable to install component then it said push check file below to see if path is correct then click okay and wen i looked at tha details to see wat file it was it was always was a name followed by .vxd and everything looked okayso i pushed okay but it didn't work so i just clicked skip file and it still wouldn't start in normal mode or safe mode all the missing files ended in .vxd under thanks again for all your help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any important files on the PC

computersrstupid

computersrstupid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes i do

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here to install without losing files

http://www.geekstogo...98_95-t479.html

computersrstupid

computersrstupid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
But if I do that won't i lose all my files and stuff or can i just back up everything thats on there righgt now then remove windows and install afresh copy but i don't know how to back up files :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have a CD RW Drive with writing software

computersrstupid

computersrstupid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I don't Know Wat That Is Is That Wat You Use To Burn CD's Cause If That IS Then Yeah

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is going to depend on getting Windows to run, the link for reinstalling is specific to not losing the files you have