Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

want windows 7 back, had it with 10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

OGdexter

OGdexter

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I read the sticky, but I still feel more comfortable with GTG assistance since I am not, myself, a geek.

I have multiple issues and never had all these problems with windows 7, I was uncomfortable with 10 from the beginning and have never gotten used to their new way of doing things and arranging things, It always seemed like Microsoft was trying to shmooze up to Apple users. I especially hate the start menu.

I'm on my second VPN provider, both of which have failed. First was Nord VPN and currently I have Bitdefender VPN (not really, won't connect) I also have Bitdefender Total Security 2018 as my paid AV defense.

response fromBitDefender:

This error indicates that the port 1194 via UDP protocol is blocked. Bitdefender VPN needs this port open.

If you have a 3rd party firewall installed on your computer please allow the port 1194 on UDP, or temporarily turn off that firewall program.

Also check if your router comes with built-in firewall and turn it off from the admin page.

(I can't find how to do that ^^^) and this response which I don't have much confidence in, since at least one (Craigslist) doesn't let you post there if you're not local:

We have identified the cause of this Vpn issue and will be fixed in an upcoming software update. In the meantime, as a workaround please restart your computer when the error 1009 comes up. If you have Premium Vpn you can also try to select a few different countries from the list instead of allowing the VPN to connect automatically.

(meh, I could restart all day long and never connect, who are you kidding?)

I'd rather wait for GTG support, thank you very much. I have a Netgear 600 Wndr3400v3 dual band router too, I've never had conflicting firewall rules until this last $$#@$^&ing Windows Update sabotage from Microsoft

I'd like advice on how and what to back up, I DO have my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit License Key sticker

I really would need a very good reason to go on putting up with Windows 10 any longer, also every other update or so from Microsoft makes my printer magically disappear

Edited by OGdexter, 05 April 2018 - 09:04 AM.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
If you want to try to open the correct port on Windows 10 to try first or if you are ready to install Windows 7, I can help either way?

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I just want 7 back, I hate 10 like my ex wife's mother

right now i'm erasing a 32 gig flash drive to use, I have my windows 7 license key my biggest concern is windows backup will not finish, another reason I hate 10

EDIT: this is ridiculous, I can't even find a format command

Edited by OGdexter, 05 April 2018 - 01:35 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay, I understand. It will continue to be supported until Jan 2020 so maybe they will improve things by then. I recommend making a image backup with one of the following programs of your current setup to either a new partition or backup media in case there are issues. Did Winsows 7 come with the computer or do you have a retail license or a Win 7 disk?

Backup Files

EaseUs todo backup
https://www.easeus.c...ackup-software/

Macrium Reflect free
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

https://reflect.macr..._disk_image.asp

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
this is ridiculous, I can't even find a format command

To format the usb, go to file manager
select the my pc icon,
right click on your usb drive
select format from the menu.

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I have the License Key sticker, a blank 32gig (found the format button) thumb drive, ................holy cr%p Batman!, just found a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit media disc in the 30 year drawer!

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I have the License Key sticker, a blank 32gig (found the format button) thumb drive, ................holy cr%p Batman!, just found a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit media disc in the 30 year drawer!

I have the EaseUs site window open too.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Great that makes things better if you cannot Restore back to the previous version or would you prefer to perform a full clean install once you have your files backed up?

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

can I just do clean install and migrate the data into it?

Edited by OGdexter, 05 April 2018 - 01:44 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay let me know which way you want to proceed and when things are backed up or other questions.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Is the disk the exact same version that was installed on your computer? Sure, as long as you have all the data backed up. This is the preferred method.

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

assume I know nothing please, I won't be insulted, I promise i guess we start with backup, windows backup is busted, won't finish. 

should I use free Todo? just downloaded the free version

Edited by OGdexter, 05 April 2018 - 01:52 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
What is the make and model of your computer? This is a good guide to walk you through the process and I am happy to help or answer any questions.

Clean install Windows 7
https://www.lifewire...ndows-7-2624917

Also check this guide for some good recommendations after upgrading.
https://www.digitalt...use-to-upgrade/

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Yes the free version is all you need.

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Coolermaster HAF12 case . Asusrock z97 pro motherboard, Intel i7-4790k 4G@4G chipset, two hard drives 1TB and a 500Mb that was supposed to be for backup, looks like it was never set up

64 bit system 64 bit processor

Edited by OGdexter, 05 April 2018 - 02:28 PM.