Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

want windows 7 back, had it with 10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay thanks that will help when updating drivers after the install. Do you know how to setup the 500GB drive? That would be great for your image backup.

Advertisements

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

No I do not, I have the image backup on a thumb drive now (did it with EaseUs)

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Ok that will work and I can help you set it up after the install or you can also install Windows 7 on that disk and use the other for backup. I recommend disconnecting which ever drice you are not going to use before installing. Do you need help proceeding or is the guide going to help?

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

I want to use the other 500mb drive for backup, this computer was bought for someone else and they never set it up as it was intended to be, I started using it and didn't know that the 500MB drive was not being used for backup as intended, can i place the system image on it now? does it need to be disconnected before I install windows 7?

now that I think about that it doesn't sound like a very good idea, I want the extra drive only for backup, I think it has a Linux image on it now, that can be erased

Yeah I need help, don't need to f%$k this up, the guide looks really clear

Edited by OGdexter, 05 April 2018 - 02:54 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Let’s disconnect it for now to install Windows to the other drive then we can set it up and copy your image over.

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

funny business, it's no longer there, removed the side of the tower and looked.

I DO have another drive in the 30 year pile, I 'm going to use it later, OK no problem it isn't really there, I will want to erase the linux OS in volume L, tried formatting it just now and it said it was "in use" ??? I never booted from there??

Edited by OGdexter, 05 April 2018 - 03:19 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Yes please

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
You currently have a Linux version on the 1tb drive? When you get to the install section after selecting custom install, this will allow you to select each partition and delete them until it shows one unallocated space left. Then you will select that to install Winsows onto. It is shown and described in the guide as well

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Ok, I saw that when i read the guide

I copied the guide on paper (manually, printer is missing again) how am i going to get all my links and drivers and bookmarks and AV program and everything up and running again after I have a clean new install?

I think I'm ready to start now

EDIT: LOL I guess I'm going to need an old USB mouse to do the install, just tried and didn't get far

Edited by OGdexter, 05 April 2018 - 04:34 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Ok, I saw that when i read the guide

I copied the guide on paper (manually, printer is missing again) how am i going to get all my links and drivers and bookmarks and AV program and everything up and running again after I have a clean new install?

We can restore your all your data from your backup. Did you create an image of the whole drive?

As for programs you will have to have the install files or disk for any third part programs. Drivers, Windows will provide most and then I will direct you to other sites to download appropriate drivers if needed.

Advertisements

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I loaded 7,can't establish Internet connection help, this is my phone, stupid IE doesn't see my cable modem?

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Need to establish intErnest connection,selected broadband, it keeps trying to Dial out?

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Do you know what type of adapter you have wifi or ethernet?

If you go into device manager, do you see your adapter and does it show it is working or have you tried updating the driver. Do you have another computer to download drivers from?

Show Driver Hardware ID

Go into Device Manager

Right click on your wifi or ethernet adapter.

Select the Details tab

Choose Hardware Id's under the property window

and either provide a screenshot or add the hardware id values to your reply 

Edited by dmccoy, 05 April 2018 - 07:03 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
I have to get off for the night. A couple options to try if need before tom

If it is wifi that isn’t working, connect an ethernet cable to router
Restart modem, router and computer
This should allow you to get online and download appropriate drivers for your wifi card

Restore windows 10 from your Easeus recovery disk and download the drivers to you usb drive.
Reinstall winsows 7 and install drivers

OGdexter

OGdexter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
[bleep] this, it's ruined