Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

On boot System problem with Admin Profile User

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Hi,  4 Questions /Concerns

I saw that possible reasons for this problem with the Admin User Profile was CPU did not shut down properly, Win updates problem or Power outage. I'm trying to make sure I have this system in the best condition as possible for the time being.

Yes all that can result on a corrupted profile.

Sometimes when my computer powers down a message pops up and says a program is not closing (Explorer it seems) it ask me if I want to force turn off, sometimes it closes by itself.  If I'm  around the system I cancel and try to shut off again.  Also sometimes a message pops up Memory can not be over written. Is there anything I should look for due to this unclean shut down ?

If it doesn't happen all the time is difficult to diagnose. It could be some software that you use that didn't close properly and interferes with the shutdown process.

When I load my NEW Win Updates and upon RESTART my system stays at the Dell Sign and the bar to show completing boot stays at 1/2 ... then the machine freezes and I must power the mach down by the POWER button, unplug the mach, then power back up to get a good boot ? Below I've given you my boot order from F12. Can you shed some light on why my system does this ?

Boot Order Hard Disk SATA-O : 1)ST500DM002 2) USB - Seagate Back Up 3) Bootdable Addon card 4)CD Rom, USB-CD Rom 5)Utility Partition.

Sometimes I would use F8 after updates to by pass this freeze point. Right now F8 is not working on my machine as it use to do. Can I get this to work again ?

It seems that some hardware may be failing! Dell machines usually include some diagnostic tools, press F12 immediately after turning on the machine and see if you can run the diagnostics. Wen you have external disk drives connected to the machine during startup its possible that the machine will fail to boot or get stuck, I have seen this on several machines.

Check the BIOS for any option related with boot from USB and try to disable that option. Don't forget that you will need to revert the change if you need to boot the machine using an USB flash drive...

Please include instructions on how I can back up my Main Admin Profile ?     TY

Have a backup of only the user profile doesn't help much...

What you should do is create a backup image of the Operating System using some software like Macrium Reflect Free

https://knowledgebas...e or partitions

Advertisements

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Hi Sleepy,

F12 only takes me to Boot Menu then I select HD and the mach reboots and sticks at Dell logo bar on bottom sticks at half way (The machs looks to want to go into Black Screen with White writing Dia Tools but it doesn't and goes into colored screen Boot Menu). I must then boot down with power button, unplug mach then reboot and it boots. I have no diagnostic tools now . F8 use to work great but now since this prob with User Profile F8 doesn't work and F12 has no Diagnositc tools only goes to Boot Menu. In F2  Boot Order 1) HD 2) - 4) ALL Disabled.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

If you visit this link http://www.dell.com/diagnostics it will give you access to the diagnostic tools.

Apply the following fix using FRST to see if the F8 key works again.
  • Highlight the contents of the box below, right click on it and select Copy

Start::
    cmd: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
    cmd: bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy DisplayAllFailures
    cmd: bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled yes
    End::

• Execute FRST/FRST64 right click on the icon FRST.gif and choose Run as Administrator. Make sure all other windows are closed.
    FRST_Fix.png
  • Press the Fix button just once and Wait
  • The tool will make a log (Fixlog.txt) on the same location as FRST/FRST64 please post it in your next reply.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Hi,

Awesome F8 works again thanks allot. F8 has always been a big help. I'm going to run the Dell Diagnostics and get back with you.

In F2  Boot Order 1) HD 2) - 4) ALL Disabled.

Does anything look out of order for what I want to accomplish ? looks like system C HD was the only one available for boot all others disabled. You mentioned you have seen this before(system sticking during boot). Were they all Dells, Win 7, all were during REBOOT ? is there some way I can get a intermideary (Hardware) between the System C and the External drives to avoid this problem ? I have a 8 TB Seagate Drive Docking Station with 2ea additional female USBs I can't use becausue my system will not boot at all with this Docking Drive plugged in. The system boots no problem with all 4ea Seagate drives plugged in. The only problem is during restart during updates and installing software(this always makes me nervous wondering if my system is going to boot). If I shut down normal then restart I have no problem with the 4 external drives and even though all but the System HD is disabled I still can't keep the 8TB drive plugged in or the system sticks at Main boot.

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x86) Version: 06.05.2018 01
Ran by Scott (09-05-2018 12:50:46) Run:4
Running from C:\Users\Scott\Desktop
Loaded Profiles: Scott (Available Profiles: Scott & SM & Administrator)
Boot Mode: Normal

==============================================

fixlist content:
cmd: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes
cmd: bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy DisplayAllFailures
cmd: bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled yes

========= bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes =========

The operation completed successfully.

========= End of CMD: =========

========= bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy DisplayAllFailures =========

========= bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled yes =========

==== End of Fixlog 12:50:48 ====

TY

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Awesome F8 works again thanks allot. F8 has always been a big help. I'm going to run the Dell Diagnostics and get back with you.

Good.

In F2  Boot Order 1) HD 2) - 4) ALL Disabled.

Does anything look out of order for what I want to accomplish ? looks like system C HD was the only one available

Nope. Eventually not all the Dell machines have that function built-in!

for boot all others disabled. You mentioned you have seen this before(system sticking during boot). Were they all Dells, Win 7, all were during REBOOT ? is there some way I can get a intermideary (Hardware) between the System C and the External drives to avoid this problem ? I have a 8 TB Seagate Drive Docking Station with 2ea additional female USBs I can't use becausue my system will not boot at all with this Docking Drive plugged in. The system boots no problem with all 4ea Seagate drives plugged in. The only problem is during restart during updates and installing software(this always makes me nervous wondering if my system is going to boot). If I shut down normal then restart I have no problem with the 4 external drives and even though all but the System HD is disabled I still can't keep the 8TB drive plugged in or the system sticks at Main boot.

The brand of the computer doesn't matter its a problem that happens in many machines, in some cases you can tweak the BIOS to avoid the problem by disabling USB boot in other don't.

The only safe option is to cut the power of the HDD's during boot if they have a power switch if not only disconnecting the USB cable.

Can you post the machine Service Tag please.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Hi,

One small problem with F8 Diagnostics. Every time I boot the Black/White Dos Screen comes up (without pressing F8), gives me 20 seconds to press F8 again for Diagnostic tools. Can you change the fix to make F8 Diagnostic tools appear only when I press F8 during boot not come up every time I boot the computer ?

The only safe option is to cut the power of the External HD's during boot if they have a power switch if not only disconnecting the USB cable.

I have no power switches on my Seagate External Drives. I thought this would be a problem when I bought them but i was told the new drives all come with no on/off switch.This is why I asked is there a piece of hardware I can get to plug in the external drives where I can turn the power on and off from that piece of hardware before boot then turn on the externals when I need them?

Attached is Service Tag

Edited by SleepyDude, 10 May 2018 - 08:18 AM.
Remove photo because of Windows Key

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

About the boot menu sorry I add an extra command that shouldn't be there... to fix do the following:

- open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
- type the command:

bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} displaybootmenu

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 530s?

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Hi,

Reg F8 boot ... no prob if i had to keep it that way I would I need F8. I will make the change in FAR do you need a log ?

Yes 530s is my model.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Did you try the command I post? No need to see the log if it worked.

Did you manage to run the Diagnostics available on the Dell website?

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

HI,

I completed the newest command and the Command prompt said it was successful.

I need to run the diagnostic today or tomorrow and will post results.

Advertisements

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Hi

Your last fix worked the mach boots into Win 7 with out black/white F8 screen.

I ran two disk check and both came back with PASSED (10 mins and 3.5 hrs). I did not run the stress test or anything else from the Utility. EDIT - this disk check was on the K drive that came up with possible error earlier.

Question ... I'm sure your thinking abt this but is there some additional script when a machine RESTARTS that is not included in normal boot. My mach has no prob with normal boot but the mach sticks at reboot (must boot down the mach and reboot if i can before ... restart sticks).

Does anything show up regarding my Service Tag ?

TY

Edited by everythingsm, 13 May 2018 - 08:12 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Using the Service Tag I see that the machine was shipped with Windows Vista and unfortunately Dell doesn't provide drivers for Windows 7.

The different behavior in shutdown or restart could be several things from Drivers, Software to Hardware.

We can try some tests to see if we can isolate the problem, this could be a lengthy process...

Try doing a Clean Boot and test the shutdown and restart, let me know the result.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Hi,

I will do this tomorrow.  Thanks for the Service Tag info. Prob doesn't matter but I never ran Vista on this machine only XP (other disk included with install). Makes since abt Win7 drivers.

Question... Is there a piece of Hardware I can purchase to hook up my four External drives where the drives can be turned off/Powered down then when I boot my machine I can turn on he drives by way of on/off switch with this conduit to the system device ? I can't think of another opposition if I can't isolate the problem.

TY

Edited by everythingsm, 13 May 2018 - 08:28 AM.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

HI,

I did Clean Boot.  The machine froze/stopped at Dell sign as usual. FYI when I did msconfig my settings was already in Selective Start up Checked and Load Start up items was checked.  I Restarted by using Power Down Button and unplugging the system.  I then did msconfiq selected Normal Start and the system froze/stopped at Dell sign and used power down button unplugged and restarted the system.

So does this mean none of my start up programs are part of the problem ?

Is there a difference between Normal Start up and Selective Startup & load Start up items to be used as I Start my system ?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Sorry I may have misunderstood your question!

The machine have problems only when starting or also when you order a Shutdown or Restart in Windows?

The startup problem is most likely related with all the USB hdd's connected, did you try with all of them disconnected? its a simply test.

Did a search and found this http://a.co/3syKiM5 I'm not familiarized with this device so I can't say if it works great or not!
In terms of security having the USB hdd's not accessible all the time its a good protection against ransomware that encrypts data.