Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrong screen resolution after driver update

resolution driver update

• Please log in to reply

Kristina

Kristina

• PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

After several driver updates, my screen resolution appeared wrong. I updated most of the drivers with IOBit. I don’t have a backup feature to roll back each driver separately to see if one went wrong (maybe the one for the graphic card?). At a few restarts after the driver updates, all icons and items appeared extremely big and of poor resolution quality (600x800) and there appears a black margin to the screen. When I go to Screen resolution, it appears set to 600x800 and the maximum resolution available in the list is 1200x800. Normally, my resolution when everything looks fine is selected to 1920x1080. If I roll back to a previous restore point, usually the screen appears normal again. I even restart again the computer after the system restore and the resolution remains fine. However, after a day or two, the computer opens with the wrong resolution again. I repeated this series of procedures for at least 5-6 times: resolution is wrong, I run system restore, it is fine again, next day it is wrong again. Perhaps it might have to do something with Windows Update, after it performs the latest update the resolutions goes wrong on the next restart? Is the graphic card driver wrong, how can I change it?

After my latest system restore to fix my resolution, I also got the following error:

„Startupinfo.exe

The program can’t start because rtl120.bpl is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”

Thank you!

Edited by Kristina, 13 April 2018 - 12:15 PM.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I updated most of the drivers with IOBit.

Unfortunately this is probably the problem. I recommend restoring to the point before performing the iobit updates. Then we can update the drivers correctly. These programs usually cause more harm then good.

After restoring, then perform the following steps

Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Step 1:
Speccy
Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy
2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
3 Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Step 2:
Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
Copy and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

(Windows 8 or higher)
2. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

When these have completed:
Right click on the top bar command window
Left click on Edit then Select All
Right click on the top bar again
Left click on edit then copy
paste into your reply

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
Upload sfcdetails.txt from your desktop

Step 3:
Download Event Viewer Tool to your desktop

1. Right click on Vew.exe program and select Run as Administrator
2.. Under Select log to query
3. select System
4. Under Select type to list
Select:
* Error
* Warning
Choose the Number of events as follows:
Click on number of events
Type 20 in the box (1 to 20)
Click the Run button (Notepad will open the log)
Upload files to next reply
Rename to SystemLog.txt or it will be overwritten

Run the above steps again Except at step 3.
Select Application
Rename log file to ApplicationLog.txt
Upload or Paste to next reply

Step 4:
List all Drivers

http://www.nirsoft.n...driverview.html

1. Download the correct version for your computer (32 or 64 bit)
2. Extract and Run the file
3. Select View Menu and Check
a. Mark Non-Microsoft Drivers
b. Hide Microsoft Drivers
c. Add Header Line To CVS/Tab-Delimited File
4. Select Edit menu and choose Select All or use (Ctrl + A)
5. Select File menu and choose Save Selected Items
6. Save as Drivers or other known name
7. Save As Type Comma-delimited text file (.csv)
8. Compress the Drivers.csv file to a compressed Zip file
Upload the file to your next reply

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

I cannot restore anymore to before installing drivers with IOBIT, because the old restore points have been deleted. Right now I only have the more recent restore points, due to the lots of times I used system restore.

Here is the speccy snapshot (step 1):

http://speccy.pirifo...qmeECpNDEfBrK3y

Edited by Kristina, 13 April 2018 - 03:43 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay please provide other steps then. How many days ago was it?

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
I won’t be available until tom. After performing the other steps. Go to the following link, download and install the corrrect video driver to see if it helps with the screen resolution problem

AMD Radeon 4600
https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

I updated the drivers about 2 weeks ago I think.

I ran  sfc /scannow 3 times. After the 2nd time I scanned and restarted the resolution went bad again (it was normal until then, due to the last system restore I did before asking for help here).

Here are the results of the 3rd scan:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32>

When I try to run VEW it says "VEW has not been coded for your language (Romanian)"

Finally, I ran the AMD software, but it didn't solve the problem. The crappy resolution remained unchanged (In Screen Resolution the maximum I can select is 1400x1050).

Attached Files

Edited by Kristina, 13 April 2018 - 05:37 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
If possible change language to English and run tools

https://www.lifewire...ndows-7-3507012

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

My display language is English. It's just the keyboard that can be both English and Romanian. I switched from the language bar to English, but it doesn't solve the problem.

Edited by Kristina, 13 April 2018 - 06:30 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
That is strange. So you download and installed the driver and you still have the same issue? If that is the case please perform the following steps.

Display Driver Uninstall Utility

Important: Pay attention to the warnings DDU gives you. If you end up hosing your system somehow, you're on your own -- They are not responsible for your goofs and will not help you fix it. Honestly this shouldn't ever be an issue but some of you folks run on pretty janky setups.

1. Download the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU for short)
http://www.wagnardmo...ninstaller-ddu-
2. Download the latest driver package from your GPU manufacturer. Be careful to select the correct model and operating system. Avoid beta driver packages unless you know what you're doing.
3. NVIDIA
4. AMD
5. Intel
6. Extract DDU and Run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe.
7. Follow the prompts to reboot into Safe Mode.
8. Once in Safe Mode, DDU will launch itself automatically and you can begin the driver removal process
9. Select the appropriate driver type
10. click the "Clean and restart" button
11.  After DDU is finished and you're back in normal Windows, things probably look pretty crappy! Install the GPU driver package you downloaded earlier.
12. Once the driver installation process is complete, reboot one last time.

Now you can test to see if the issue you were experiencing has been resolved.

https://obsproject.c...nstallation.65/

Edited by dmccoy, 13 April 2018 - 07:12 PM.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

1. Today I ran the AMD software again and this time I chose to uninstall the graphic driver. Previously, I had chosen to install all the drivers listed by them. Upon restart, my resolution looks normal and it is set to 1920x1080. I now tried to run the AMD software again, but it doesn't start anymore (I thought maybe now I could install the graphic driver again).

Before uninstalling the graphic driver with the AMD software, DDU said my GPU is ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, version 8.970.100.7000. After uninstall it says the version is 8.56.1.16.

2. Still, after this I also ran the DDU . After running DDU, the resolution was bad again :)) I ran the AMD software afterwards to reinstall all their software, resolution now appears to be 1920x1080. However, it still looks bad...the screen has a thick black margin (it is smaller). I uninstalled again the graphic card and then reinstalled it with the AMD software, but the same black margin remains now in both old and updated card version....

Step 2 said ''Download the latest driver package from your GPU manufacturer." I guess it's still the AMD software from this link? https://support.amd.com/en-us/download  I installed using both the automatic software, and then I also selected my exact graphic card from the left panel, but the resolution still remained bad. 

Maybe it is a problem linked with the AMD latest driver update, maybe it's a bad update??

3. After trying all these steps I ran System Restore to yesterday and now the resolution is fine again, even after one computer restart. But probably not for too long.... I wonder why when the resolution appears to be fixed, something keeps making the resolution go bad after a certain amount of time.... Could it have anything to do with this:

http://www.thewindow...changes-windows

Edited by Kristina, 14 April 2018 - 05:40 AM.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
It sounds like maybe this version 8.56.1.16 is the best option for your computer. It is not always neat to use the latest driver. It is a matter of finding the best driver that is compatible with your system.

Since it is currently working after restoring, is version 8.56.1.16 the driver currently installed?

You have some other minor issues, but I want to,get this working properly first.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

No, the version currently installed after running system restore is 8.970.100.7000 (the version which was installed when I started this thread). After running Windows updates and reboot, the resolution still looked fine. 

Edit: I ran a reebot AGAIN and the resolution is back to 800x600.... now there's also no option for 1920x1080. So apparently I'm back to square one.

The version provided by AMD software is 8.970.100.1100. When I install that version, there exists the option for 1920x1080, but the screen has a thick black margin.

The version 8.56.1.16 (provided by uninstalling the graphic card with the AMD software) worked just for a short time, until I used DDU, then thick black margins appeared when running AMD software (with both the old or the new driver version). So in the end I made a system restore to the day before, the resolution looked normal, but as you can see, it worked only between a few restarts....Could it have something to do with Windows Updates?

If only I could know which driver version I had a few weeks ago, before running the graphic card driver updates. Probably that version was the good one for my PC.

Edited by Kristina, 14 April 2018 - 08:50 AM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Please create a restore point or image a backup if you use. Also if you can provide a picture of your screen that would be helpful.

Follow the guidelines on link below.
https://community.am...m/thread/180667

Note the following. You mention something about your Windows update. Are you fully up to date? We can also try removing the last update if you still have issues.

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

It looks like you have several uninstalled Windows updates so that may be the issue. Are you having trouble updating?

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

I had already installed all the updates recommended by Windows when I started using the AMD software, but the AMD drivers still didn't work. There don't seem to be troubles with the updates, they all appear successfully installed.

I mentioned the updates because I always run the system restore before the most recent Windows Update. The resolution looks fine after the system restore, then I run the updates (which were rolled back with the system restore), then things look fine for a while longer, then after one or more reboots the resolutions turns bad again. This has been going on for weeks, so I guess there have been several different updates installed in the meantime.

Could there be other updates I need to make which don't appear in my Windows Update list?

If I make a print screen, it doesn't include the thick black margins....apparently the PC doesn't know these margins exist :)) The margins are 2 cm thick in lateral sides and 1 cm thick up and down.

Again, I wonder which driver version I had before running the first driver updates. Could I reinstall that exact version or maybe a not so recent version of the AMD graphic card?

This is advice given by Windows Help:

" I installed updates (or a driver update) and now one of my devices doesn't work.

There are several reasons why this might happen. If you purchased your computer with the device you are updating the driver for, you should first check with the computer manufacturer for a driver. Most computer manufacturers use third-party brands of devices, such as video or audio cards. In some cases, the manufacturer might have modified drivers to use with your computer, while the third-party device company will have more generic drivers. Installing a generic device driver, even though it's written by the device manufacturer, can sometimes cause problems.

The other reason might be that the version of the driver might not work for your device or computer. Hardware devices are often revised but still retain the same name. It is possible to use the latest driver, but not have it work correctly. In this case, you might need to revert to a previous version of the driver for that device. Check the computer or device manufacturer's website for a version of the driver specifically for your device, or remove the driver and restart your computer to reinstall the older driver."

Edited by Kristina, 14 April 2018 - 02:00 PM.