Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP configuration - cant get an internet connection

• Please log in to reply

listenmirndt

listenmirndt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't get the internet on my PC

Using a direct cable connection, and a fixed IP address

I have setup with the home networking wizard and configured my PC to connect directly to the internet, I am not using a router, also I do not have a firewall running.

I have entered in my IP / DNS / Gateway ( etc ) in Internet Protocol TCP/IP by right clicking my network card -> properties in Network Connections

I am sure all that part is OK.

I have taken this PC into the shop a few times and had them configure it, I dont know what they did, somthing in command prompt I think - I wonder if somone could tell me what I might try?

Any ideas would be great,

Thanks
-Arron

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First of all if you're using PPPoE you will be assigned an IP by their DNS server. So you have to start with automatic configuration. You will be assigned that IP for at least one day, so what you do is then put that IP into your settings as the fixed IP.

:tazz:

listenmirndt

listenmirndt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply,
So -

I started by entering the IP address, then I ran the network setup wizard.

So, should I set the IP address to "obtain automatically" and re-run the network setup wizard?

Could you give me a few more steps, I dont understand exactly..

Thanks

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Are you running a home network?
Why are you setting up a static IP? the system should take care of your IP address.
Delete all enteriesand set it to DHCP, run the Network Wizard.
let me know how it goes.

Hope that helps.

:tazz:

astrophysicist

astrophysicist

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Usually it is best to start with "Obtain IP automatically" when dealing with ISP's. Normally, a static IP is used when setting up your own network as stated by samiko.