Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

switch pc out of safe mode with damaged screen

safe mode; screen/monitor keyboard shortcut

• Please log in to reply

TanaAmazonas

TanaAmazonas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.
I was trying to restart my laptop in safe mode in order to run the antivirus scan on an external without re-infecting the computer. However, in basic safe mode, it seems to have disconnected my screen, which is on the HDMI port because the screen to the laptop is damaged, and only the very top quarter inch is visible. Obviously, I need to reset it to boot in safe mode WITH networking, right? However, I'm flying blind. How do I get System Configuration to open, switch to the boot screen, change the settings, and apply, without using the mouse and having only a sliver at the top of visibility? Or how do I attach the monitor to show? I need to fix this tonight, preferably (Monday, May 14th, 2018). Hope you can help!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The vast majority of laptops are designed to use the local, built-in screen as the default, primary display. If your laptop's BIOS/CMOS Setup does not have a setting allowing you to set the HDMI port as the primary display, I'm afraid you'll need to replace the damaged laptop screen,