Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird dropbox file... should I be concerned

dropbox

• Please log in to reply

Light Knight

Light Knight

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hello,

My home desktop has been in the "sleep" mode all day, and today when I woke it up, I got a little alert from my Dropbox that a file has been added to my dropbox, which syncs directly with my computer.

I did not add it, and it was added in a folder I haven't even opened in the last 4 days. The date on the file is of today. I havn't opened it, and I stooped sync on  my Dropbox immediately and ran Housecall; came up safe.

I do use dropbox on my android phone and work computer, but I had not used it on my android all day, and my work computer is kept very secure by my admin. See screenshots below of the file and properties.

I didn't run any of the diagnostic tools mentioned in the sticky, cause I wanted to know if you guys think it's even something to worry about. Is this any indication that there is some hacking into my dropbox? What could it be?

mystery file.jpg

Advertisements

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

If you're worried about it, scan it at VirusTotal .... https://www.virustot...m/#/home/upload

Click on Choose File and browse to the file in question

Double click on the file to select it, and VirusTotal will scan it with a number of Anti-Virus programs (65 if I remember right).

If there are any positive detections, then please post a link to the results page at VirusTotal, if no positive detections, then it's fair to assume that the file is not malicious.

If you have any further concerns, then feel free to post a set of FRST logs, as directed in ... http://www.geekstogo...ide/#entry12367... and I'll be happy to look them over for you.