Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC running slow for some reason.

• Please log in to reply

Izzy1665

Izzy1665

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Completed the Log In as the Administrator per those steps within the link, the upgrade still did not work. I even ran the Windows Upgrade troubleshooter and attempted the upgrade again with no luck. Same with the Microsoft Store & troubleshooter there as well. Same errors.

I locked that Admin account back down and am back under my personal account now.

Edited by Izzy1665, 24 December 2018 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

Izzy1665

Izzy1665

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Merry Christmas to you and your family Mr. RKinner

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I'm going to have to run Process Monitor and see if I can figure out what is happening to your Apps. Going out of town tomorrow so it may be a couple of days until I can get back to you.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I've got Process Monitor running and it shows that it has to read:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages

Under that key you will find a long list of long numbers which apparently correspond to the different apps.  If you right click on the above key and select Permissions, then System and Administrator should both have Full Control.  Do they?  Click on Advanced and verify that the Owner is System.

Try a few of the sub keys and verify that they look the same.

I expect that will be OK since it does list the apps but just want to be sure.

The info that is missing appears to be about the files themselves.  It reads:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\StateRepository-Machine.srd-shm

But Windows won't let me see the file.  I can get to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\ then I have to right click and select Properties, Security, Advanced, continue and I see that only Trusted Installer has Full Control.  System has only Modify the folder but Full Control of Subfolders and Files.  These days the only way to change it is to activate the Administrator Login and then while logged in as the Administrator you can take Ownership and it will usually allow it.

We then read HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages and the subkey for Photos as an example \Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2018.18091.17210.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe which also has Full Control for System and Admin.  This refers us to the file location.  For Photos it is:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2018.18091.17210.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe  (I think you will have a different number at the end)

Unfortunately Windows stops me at:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps where I have to do the Properties, Security, Advanced, continue and I see that only Trusted Installer and System have Full Control (Administrator supposedly can list files but that doesn't work).  Windows says it can't display owner.  I presume it has to read this folder in order to get the date and file size. Again I suppose activating Administrator and taking ownership will work but I haven't tried it yet.

I'll try taking ownership from the Administrator login later.  Wanted to post this first.

Izzy1665

Izzy1665

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I've got Process Monitor running and it shows that it has to read:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\PackageRepository\Packages

Under that key you will find a long list of long numbers which apparently correspond to the different apps.  If you right click on the above key and select Permissions, then System and Administrator should both have Full Control.  Do they?  Click on Advanced and verify that the Owner is System.

Try a few of the sub keys and verify that they look the same.

I expect that will be OK since it does list the apps but just want to be sure.

These all do read as Full Control for System and Administrators and the Owner is System.

Based on your registry entry for the photo key, I was able to find my entries for photos as well as those for the Zunevideo that are/were an issue a page or so back if that helps us here any.

They also show Full Control for System and Administrators and the Owner is System.

sl62pu.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Sorry for the long delay.  Holidays.

I think we need to look at Process Monitor on your PC while you try to open the apps page that is showing errors.

download Process Monitor https://live.sysinte...com/Procmon.exe
Save it to your desktop.  Right click and Run As Admin,

As soon as it starts, bring up the failing app page.  As soon as you see it:  File, then uncheck Capture Events.  Once it stops,

File, Save, All Events, Events displayed using current Filter, Native Process Monitor.  OK.  It will save the file as Logfile.PML and put in in the same folder where ProcMon.exe lives.  This is a very big file so you need to upload it to a file transfer service:

https://www.itpropor...inus-zumodrive/

WeTransfer seems to work well.  Give me the link when you get it uploaded and I will look to see if I can see where it is failing.

Izzy1665

Izzy1665

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I hope I did this ProcMon correctly and here is the link for WeTranfer.

https://we.tl/t-M1GqVQb4p5

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Got it. 

Following jumps out at me:

High Resolution Date & Time:    1/4/2019 12:52:21.2103890 PM
Event Class:    File System
Operation:    CreateFile
Result:    NAME INVALID
Path:    C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\@{microsoft.microsoftedge_42.17134.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource:\microsoft.microsoftedge\files\assets\microsoftedgepdf.png}
TID:    5224
Duration:    0.0000218
Desired Access:    Read Attributes
Disposition:    Open
Options:    Open Reparse Point
Attributes:    n/a
ShareMode:    Read, Write, Delete
AllocationSize:    n/a

High Resolution Date & Time:    1/4/2019 12:52:21.2027887 PM
Event Class:    File System
Operation:    CreateFile
Result:    NAME INVALID
Path:    C:\Windows\System32\@{microsoft.microsoftedge_42.17134.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource:\microsoft.microsoftedge\files\assets\microsoftedgepdf.png}
TID:    5224
Duration:    0.0000191
Desired Access:    Read Attributes
Disposition:    Open
Options:    Open Reparse Point
Attributes:    n/a
ShareMode:    Read, Write, Delete
AllocationSize:    n/a

Note the

@

inserted randomly in the path.

These happen right after it looks at:

C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache_idx.db

so perhaps recreating the db will help:

https://www.windowsc...base-windows-10

Izzy1665

Izzy1665

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Completed, had to reboot part way thru because it wouldn't let me delete the icon DB's. Once I rebooted they deleted with no problem.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Any change to the Apps page?

Advertisements

Izzy1665

Izzy1665

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

No change, everything still says error in the Microsoft store..  I cannot open pictures but I can open and use apps like my calculator, Solitaire, Money.

2py1ht2.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Settings, Apps, Default Apps then click on the icon below Photo Viewer.  (Assume it says Photos).  Change it to something else like Picasa or Windows Photo Viewer or even Paint.  Then see if you can open a picture.  Change it back to Photos.  Does it no longer open pictures?

Izzy1665

Izzy1665

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I switched it to Paint as I don't have Picasa or Windows Photo Viewer, photos do open now in Paint. I switched back and get the same error as before so I changed it back to Paint for now.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Does it still show errors on the App page?

If you do a process monitor log of the app error does it still show the random "@" in the path where it did before?

Can you make a new process monitor log while trying to open a picture in Photo?

Izzy1665

Izzy1665

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Ok, here is what I got this time. ProcMon run with default photo app set to open on MSPaint.

https://we.tl/t-UoDqQtDO8C