Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommendation for an Apple Extreme replacement

Best Answer SpywareDr , 29 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

ASUS AC3200 Wireless Tri-Band (Dual 5GHz + Single 2.4GHz) Gigabit Wi-Fi Router [RT-AC3200] Ultra-Fast 802.11ac 3200 Mpbs Wi-Fi Speed, 3 x 3 Antenna Design, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, AiProtection Securit... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Faina

Faina

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Dear experts,

my apple extreme, after 10 years of very good service, is dying 

can you please help me in finding a decent replacement? I see that the actual extreme was released 5 years ago, so pretty old technology I assume

what I'm looking for is a very reliable machine (I use for business) with high throughput (I've 1Gb from my ISP), that keeps a solid wired and wireless network, like my actual one. I don't care too much about the configuration, very simple is good enough

I'd some bad experiences with different brands, so, before spend a consistent amount of money, I would like get your knowledge and expertise on the topic

Looking forward to your inputs!!!

cheers

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
✓  Best Answer

ASUS AC3200 Wireless Tri-Band (Dual 5GHz + Single 2.4GHz) Gigabit Wi-Fi Router [RT-AC3200] Ultra-Fast 802.11ac 3200 Mpbs Wi-Fi Speed, 3 x 3 Antenna Design, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, AiProtection Security - $189.00 (USD)

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

thanks! I've already ordered it

I read the review are there are some cases where they say that the speed decrease after firmware update... are you aware of this? Any mitigation in case that happens?

cheers

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Haven't experience any slowdowns here. If I had though, I suppose I'd be requesting a replacement for the defective unit.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Thanks!

are you using smart connect or a separate configuration for the 3 radio?

based on the reviews, it seems that smart connect can cause disconnection, but they are 3 years old so not sure if Asus fixed that issue meanwhile... what's your experience?

cheers

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Tri-band Smart Connect, with no problems.

https://www.asus.com...rt/FAQ/1012132/

https://www.smallnet...-missing-manual

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

thanks! I've installed it and is working fine so far, tomorrow I'll do some stress test with business operations :-)

another question: I want to move my old extreme as repeater in the basement, and I read that is not possible if you don't have another extreme as signal source

I've tried to do it automatically then assigning a static IP, but in both cases when the apple try to connect to the existing wifi I got an error. Interesting that after it I need to reset the router because it becomes kind of locked down

do you have perhaps some tricks/workaround to make it works? I hate the idea to trash it, the connection may be not stable for business but more than enough for some streaming downstairs

thanks again for your support

cheers

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Afraid I don't have much experience with any Apple devices. Hopefully someone who does will drop in here soon.