Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No wifi after new hard drive was installed

• Please log in to reply

Lisad85

Lisad85

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Old toshiba satelite c50d laptop. I replaced the hard drive as it was not working. Win 7 was already installed on new harddrive. Since then I have no network connections. It tells me my driver is up to date in device manager but there is a yellow exclamation sign on the network controller/ethernet controller/sm bus controller and universal sereal bus USB controller. I have tried downloading drivers from toahiba with no joy. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Apparently that model came with Win 8 so there aren't a lot of drivers for Win 7 on the Toshiba site.

Right click on Computer and select Manage then Device Manager then View, Show Hidden Devices.  Now look in the right pane for yellow flagged devices.  Right click on one and select properties then click on the Details tab.  Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply.  Repeat for all yellow flagged devices.  (Since you don't have Internet you will have to manually copy the numbers to your post)

Lisad85

Lisad85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002E&SUBSYS_E034105B&REV_01

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002E&SUBSYS_E034105B

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002E&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002E&CC_0280

Lisad85

Lisad85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your quick reply. That's all I am missing I found drivers for everything else. Kind regards

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

You need a qualcomm atheros ar956x

for Windows 7

https://www.catalog....R956X windows 7

you will see two Win 7 drivers.  One of them might work.

This guy also has one:

http://www.helpjet.n...3-23439812.html

I downloaded it and scanned it with Avast and it claims it's clean.

Lisad85

Lisad85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for that I now have qualcomm atheros AR5B97 network adaptor installed and qualcomm atheros AR8172/8176/PCI-E fast ethernet adapter installed and they look like they are working as in there is no warning signal and it says they are up to date but still no wifi. Only difference is I have wifi bars with a red X instead of the little rectangular box I had before where Internet is... I'm baffled

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Look on the PC for a switch that turns WiFi on/off.  Think its F12.

Lisad85

Lisad85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
FN f12 is turned on I have an orange led light at the bottom right beside the power light and charger light. Thanks Lisa

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

If it's still not working try rebooting.

Lisad85

Lisad85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried twice when I troubleshoot its saying ' there might be a problem with the diver for the wireless connection 19 adaptor
A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken' I'm guessing it's probably something small and I'm just missing it. Trouble is I want to upgrade the operating system on it but can't without wireless so it's a balls 😞

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Perhaps  the antenna for the WiFi circuit board got disconnected.  They usually use a separate card for the WiFi and the antenna is in the screen.  There is a small coax that connects to the circuit board.

Any chance of using a wired connection?

As a last resort you can get a USB to WiFi adapter for under $10.  This is one from Amazon but there are many:

TP-Link TL-WN725N N150 USB wireless WiFi network Adapter for pc with SoftAP Mode - Nano Size, Compatible with Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10 - Mac OS 10.6~10.11 - Linux Kernal 2.6~3.16

Lisad85

Lisad85

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a USB wifi dongle and that worked fine without any drivers instaled so I am at a loss. I really appreciate all your time and help thanks a million