Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reloading W10

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 01 August 2018 - 02:04 PM

AntivirusBullGuard AntivirusAntivirus: Enabled  Is this the free version of AV. Memory slotsTotal memory slots: 4Used memory slots: 1Free memory slots: 3MemoryType: DDR3Size: 4096 MB... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi,

I had an old desktop that I bought in 2007 with Windows XP which I subsequently upgraded and had W10 installed before giving it to my daughter.

She complained to me the other day that it was running a bit slow, so I assumed the standard solution in these situations is to do an operating system reinstall.

Sadly, I don't have any discs from the W10 installation, but I did see on Youtube that under settings, you can now do a reinstall within Windows under settings/Update & Security/Recovery. I went for the version that deletes all of the files in order to try to tidy things up a bit.

There's no devastating improvement in the performance of the computer, so I'm beginning to wonder if the hardware is inadequate for the Windows it's running. What's the best way to check this?

I'm also thinking about ditching Windows on all of my computers and switching to Linux. Could I reload Windows at no cost later if it didn't work out with Linux?

TIA

RSP

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello RSP,

Go to pop out for a while but will get back to you within a couple of hrs should you have been able to do the following for us in the interim  :)

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hello,

Think I've done it right:

http://speccy.pirifo...HKPjvXFDMCnJ8gH

Regards

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer
Antivirus
BullGuard Antivirus
Antivirus: Enabled

Is this the free version of AV.

Memory slots
Total memory slots: 4
Used memory slots: 1
Free memory slots: 3
Memory
Type: DDR3
Size: 4096 MBytes
Channels #: Single
DRAM Frequency: 666.8 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL): 9 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 9 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 9 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS): 25 clocks
Command Rate (CR): 1T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 62 %
Total Physical: 3.88 GB
Available Physical: 1.44 GB
Total Virtual: 6.97 GB
Available Virtual: 3.08 GB

You have high memory usage + the RAM that you have is only working at 50% of its capable speed, one definite cause is the fact that you only have the one stick of RAM which means that it is only working in single channel mode and one other possible cause of the high memory usage is the BullGuard AV.

Would recommend upgrading the RAM by adding a second 4GB stick of same spec and if only the free version of BullGuard uninstall it and use Windows Defender which is basically Microsoft Security Essentials built into Windows, doing the latter will not only free up resources but also avoid the possibility of conflicts.

NB: You need to get Windows fully up to date asap and if not done so already install the drivers for the MSI motherboard which you can download from here  be sure to create a new system restore point first.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi Phil,

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll talk to the computer shop about a RAM upgrade.

The Bullguard is a paid for licence, but she only uses the computer to play Minecraft and Roblox and watch Youtube vids.

There's no confidential data on the drive (to my knowledge) and she doesn't use it for banking or anythiing sensitive.

Would it make sense to uninstall the Bullguard?

Regards

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello RSP,

Even with the recent price rises upgrading the RAM was/is still the most cost effective way of improving system performance for folk that have a 64-bit OS but less than 8GB of RAM, for best results when having 8GB of RAM 2 X 4GB sticks is the way to go so that it runs in dual channel mode, in this instance it will improve the present RAM speed from 666.8 MHz to what is normally labelled as 1333MHz, please note that when adding more RAM you should when possible try and obtain the exact same brand and spec of memory and should you happen to add a 4GB stick of 1600MHz RAM it will only function at the same speed as the present 4GB stick of 1333MHz.

Regarding the BullGuard, make a note of the product key, uninstall it and test while only having Windows Defender protecting the computer, if things are better you could always try reinstalling BullGuard after you have upgraded the RAM to 8GB.