Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network is slow

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hello, I have a home network setup through a router and use my PC to access foreign systems for my employer through VPN. Usually, since I am connected to the Internet via cable modem web pages and offsite applications run fairly fast. Today, everything is running very slow, for example.

Applications I access via VPN are slow
Web pages that require authentication SSL are slow like Outlook mail, online banking etc regardless of whether I am connected VPN or not.
Other static web pages seem slightly slower but still reasonable, i.e. altavista.com, yahoo.com

My questions is where does the bottleneck lie, could it just be my cable modem providers network? Nothing has changed on my PC since yesterday so I doubt my PC could be the cause. Any troubleshooting methods available to see where the cause lies?

I tried rebooting and unplugging the modem for re-initialization to no avail.

David

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
The server you are getting your IP from may have many other users connected and eating up bandwidth therefore causing slow connections for everyone. Or maybe there is a problem with the server. I am willing to bet that your ISP has more than DHCP server issuing IP addresses. I would try opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig /all and check your IP, subnet, gateway etc.. type ipconfig /release (gets rid of your current IP), type ipconfig /renew (gets a new IP). Hopefully if the problem is as described above then you will most likely be going through a different server now that is not so slow at the time. ipconfig /all again to see new address, gateway, and subnet.

-=jonnyrotten=-

dfb500

dfb500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Mr Rotten, that appears to have worked!!!!

Brilliant

D

:-)

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Great! Glad to hear it, have a fast day!

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<