Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

To make a wireless printer

• Please log in to reply

NumberTWO

NumberTWO

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi all,
I am currently using a wireless router connecting to a wireless broadband, with a pc card slotted into my laptop. I'm running fine with this.

However, I've recently purchase a HP printer that comes with a USB port? So, i am thinking to 'wireless enable ' this printer. Is this possible by just buying an USB wireless adapter and slot it into the printer's USB port?

Please guide.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I don't think so, what you would want to do, is get a wireless print server that connects to the printer via usb.

http://www.geeks.com...ng&cm_ite=total is an example of a device like what you want to buy. This is just intended for example and is not a recommendation of brand or place to buy from.

Greazy Mcgeezy

NumberTWO

NumberTWO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
OK..What about bluetooth? Can a bluetooth USB plug into the printer USB port and talk to my bluetooth'enabled laptop?

Pls adv.
Tks.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
All you would need is something like:

D-Link Personal Air Print server

Should work fine.

Greazy Mcgeezy

wildchild22

wildchild22

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i dont think you will be able to use a USB adaptor on the printer, because the computer/device needs drivers and utilities to use the adaptor correctly.
As greazy said, just get a wireless print server, and it should work fine

NumberTWO

NumberTWO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Greazy, i think this d-link thing might just be what I wanted.. Wonder if Netgear has got a similar product ? as I'm using netgear wireless AP at home..
Thanks.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
If Netgear is your preferred brand, then I'm sure you should be able to find a similar product by them.

Greazy Mcgeezy