Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MBAM found infection

• Please log in to reply

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,712 posts
Hi aaaa44

That looks like it has run now. :thumbsup:

Can you have good playabout on the computer and report back in the next 24-48 hrs if the AVG UI pop up's have now disappeared.

Also post any questions you may have before we wrap up the topic.

Thanks

Advertisements

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

I'll report back in a day or two on how my computer is running.

These are a few questions I have:

1. Was my computer infected, or did MBAM successfully quarantine it?

2. What caused the AVG UI popups?  Did the infection interfere with AVG, or did a problem with AVG allow the infection?

3. These are the cleaning and antivirus programs I use:MBAM, SpywareBlaster, Ccleaner, WinPatrol, AVG antivirus.  All are the free edition.  Is this a good combination?

4. How effective is MBAM at detecting infections?  MBAM detected one infection which is why I posted this thread, but AdwCleaner detected several.  So will I necessarily know I'm infected by just using MBAM?

Thanks for any responses.

Bruce1270

Bruce1270

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,712 posts
Hi aaaa44

In answer to your questions..

1. Was my computer infected, or did MBAM successfully quarantine it?

Your logs were showing no indications of any infection. What I and the auto tools such as AdwCleaner identified and removed were more generic orphaned leftover files and PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs). These are programs and applications which are usually not malicious in themselves but are often installed without your consent.
They often come bundled with other software e.g. AVG secure search and AVG Tune up will have been bundled with the free AVG virus.

2. What caused the AVG UI popups? Did the infection interfere with AVG, or did a problem with AVG allow the infection?

It looks like there might have been an issue with the AVG user interface restarter which runs in the background as one of the registry keys you would normally expect to see was missing, which is why you get the message it couldn't load it. This should not cause any issues with the AV functionality.

3. These are the cleaning and antivirus programs I use:MBAM, SpywareBlaster, Ccleaner, WinPatrol, AVG antivirus. All are the free edition. Is this a good combination?

All are decent programs and can be run as a combination, only word of caution is only use Ccleaner as a clean up tool not as a registry cleaner. Cleaning and removing registry entries can be dangerous and does not necessarily improve system performance.

4. How effective is MBAM at detecting infections? MBAM detected one infection which is why I posted this thread, but AdwCleaner detected several. So will I necessarily know I'm infected by just using MBAM?

MBAM is a very good, effecctive program at identifying and removing threats. It is regularly updated and I would recommend running regularly, say once a week. Although MBAM and AdwCleaner are maintained by Malwarebytes they are designed for different things, AdwCleaner is more specifically used to target PUPs and other adware whereas MBAM also can identify PUPs is also useful for virus, trojan and other malware types.
Using a good AV and following up with programs such as MBAM will reduce the risk of infection but cannot always guarantee that your machine will stay infection free. Having good security habits and awareness of dangers are equally as important and I'll cover a bit of this in my closing post.

Hope this helps. :)

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

My computer is running fine, and I have not had anymore AVG popups.  What do I do if I get another AVG UI popup?

Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.