Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my controller card failing?

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Seems unlikely that you would need sata drivers with win10 and I doubt it would require them on a floppy of it did.

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks again.  :)

I don't know how you people know all this stuff but I'm so glad you do.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I ordered and received the graphics card, adapter card and Windows 10 in the mail.  I'm going to be away from home most of the day tomorrow so I'll be installing everything on Wednesday. 

I found my motherboard and monitor CDs that contain their drivers and motherboard BIOS and I'll update all drivers after I install Windows 10.

Any last minute advice?

Edited by Denisejm, 09 October 2018 - 01:58 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Make sure you have Win 10 drivers for your Wifi or Ethernet.  The drivers on your CD may not be Win 10.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I have an Xfinity WIFI box that my pc is connected to.  I don't remember having to install drivers for it when I installed Windows XP x64.  I just connected my pc to the box and went into Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections tab and clicked on the Setup button to set up the internet connection and it connected to the internet, so I'm not sure what drivers you think I may need.  Do you mean that I need updated motherboard drivers so I can connect to the internet with Windows 10?  Can you give me as link as to where I can get the drivers you're talking about?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Motherboard drivers for either the wifi or the ethernet whichever you use to connect.  The ones on the CD may not work for Win 10.  Look in Device Manager for the Network Adapter that you use, right click and  properties

then click on the Details tab.  Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

When I right clicked on it, I couldn't copy and paste, it just asked "What's This."  So here's a pic of it.

Edit:

After I attached the first picture, I checked to see if there was an updated driver and Windows found one and installed it.  This is it.

The first few letters that I couldn't get into the picture are  PCI/VEN_

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.bmp   855.72KB   211 downloads

Edited by Denisejm, 10 October 2018 - 06:19 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I think you have to click on the line then it should give you copy option but doesn't matter.  Looks like a Realtek

http://www.realtek.c...&Downloads=true

Top option should work for you:

Win10 Auto Installation Program (SharedID:1152921504607523118
SId:1152921504627770051)

Click on Global for the download.

It's a zip so you will need to save it then rightclick on it and Extract All, Extract.  Then in a subfolder you will see the setup.exe file.  But just copy the whole folder to a CD or USB drive so you will have it later.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

The file won't download.  I waited about 10 minutes but this is all that happens.  It never asks me where I want to save the file and there's no indication that it's downloading other than it saying that it is.  It's a pretty small file.  It shouldn't take so long to download, should it?

Edit:  I just tried to download the file again and saw a message that stayed on the screen for only about a second and all I got to read was "Firefox is preventing . . ."

For some reason, it seems Firefox won't let me download the file.  I don't know why.  I went into Firefox settings and told it to allow pop-up windows but it still won't.  IE no longer works for XP.

Edit:  I rebooted and was able to download the file.  Weird.

I understand the file is for Realtek, which is my audio manager.  What does that have to do with my motherboard/internet connection?

Attached Files

Edited by Denisejm, 10 October 2018 - 07:57 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Realtek also makes your Ethernet card.  Look at the top of the 2.bmp. 

You have to check on the I Am Not A Robot box then the real download will start.  The file is 10 Mb and is called 0028-Install_Win10_10028_08222018.zip

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

In an edit to my post, I wrote that the file downloaded after I rebooted my pc.  I had checked "I am not a robot" and then checked all the boxes several times and each time it verified that I'm not a robot, Firefox stopped the download because it wouldn't allow pop-up windows.  I've never had that problem before but I changed my options to allow pop-up windows and I gave specific approval for that url to open pop-up windows but it still wouldn't allow it.  After I rebooted, the download was able to start.  I have it saved on a thumb drive.

I will be starting to install everything in about an hour.  I'll let you know how it goes after it's done.  I have a Notepad that I can use to get on line if it doesn't work after I have all the drivers installed.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • I installed graphics and adapter cards and new hard drive, popped windows 10 disk in and when it started to install, I received message: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk.  Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I'm in BIOS now and hard disk is first in boot priority.  In CMOS, all IDE Channels say NONE except 0 Slave, which is my CD DCD drive.  When I click on a NONE, the options are to make it Auto or Manual.  It's set on Auto.  I can't see a way to tell it to Enable the drive.  Any ideas?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Your BIOS needs to be able to boot from/read a GPT partitioned disk.  Sometimes they call it UEFI in the BIOS and the MBR boot is called  CSM or Legacy.  Do you have the latest BIOS for your Mobo?

https://neosmart.net...able-uefi-boot/

Your hard drive is unlikely to be IDE.  New drives are SATA.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I have the motherboard cd that came with it and a BIOS on a floppy disk, ga-ep45-dq6-f12.

I don't know what a GPT partitioned disk is or how to get that done at this point.  I don't have another computer to use to format a hdd.  The battery on this notepad is low and charging very slowly,8 hers already at still at only 6%.  I'll check out the link you gave if I can. 

Should I install mono BIOS first before Windows?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Look on the motherboard maker's website and see if they have a newer BIOS than what you have.  You don't need to reinstall the old one.  It is installed on a chip on the motherboard not on the hard drive.  Sometimes a new BIOS will give you more options.