Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio Laptop Hard Drive

- - - - -

Best Answer Channeal , 06 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Hello Phill, Thanks for taking the time to study my Speccy report. The power settings have now been changed as suggested: - Power ProfileActive power scheme: BalancedHibernation... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Possibly but the LED or the keyboard itself may not be working, have you tried pressing the numbers lock key as like the caps lock that should also light up.

Yep, I have tried pressing everything. The only thing I can press on the keyboard that gets any response at all is if I press F8 immediately after turning on: doing that makes the lights go out for a few seconds before coming on again.

I would not pay to have the notebook checked in a tech store as labour and the cost of any new part/s would rule it out as being a viable financial option, a more up to date refurbished notebook would most likely cost around the same price.

I suspected as much. I do quite fancy treating myself to a nice shiny new laptap really. :)

The only two things that I would do are try connecting a USB type keyboard to the notebook and see if you are able to have someone hook the notebook to their external screen.

I have tried connecting to a USB keyboard and nothing at all happens, nothing lights up when any buttons are pressed.

I don't know anyone who is likely to have an external screen I could borrow. The problem with being my age is that most of the people I know say they can just barely manage to send an email, but cannot do much else! :lol:

Do you not still have the Dell desktop and its corresponding screen, it would help if you could borrow the screen for five minutes or so while you connected the notebook up to the screen.

Ah yes! I was wondering about that....... The Dell desktop is indeed still operating okay. The monitor was purchased in 2014 and is a Pavilion 22xi. I have no idea whatsoever how to connect it up to the Sony Vaio though, so would need your assistance with that.

Thanks once again,

Chris.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Chris,

Based on your update things do not look to promising for the notebook and hooking the notebook up to an external screen is as about as much that you can do I`m afraid.

Your HP Pavilion 22xi monitor has three types of video port but your Sony only the one which is the VGA type, the Dell desktop will hopefully be connected to the HP monitor using a VGA cable which you can normally identify by its blue colour, an example here these on occasion can be black instead of blue.

The VGA port is on the right hand side of my Vaio so yours is most likely the same.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again Phill,

Ah okay! The problem I thought I had with connecting to the Pavilion monitor was that I couldn't see anywhere on the laptop to fit the vga connector. It didn't look as if it was going to fit, it looked too big for it. But now I realise that it should fit okay. My only excuse is that it is quite a long time since I connected it to the Dell. Silly me, though!  :laughing: 

I will have a go when the Dell isn't in use. I don't really hold out much hope though! :no:

Bye for now,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi Chris,

If you are still getting the lights when you first try powering up the notebook, see what happens if you press the eject button on the CD/DVD drive.

Before dismantling anything again, last throw of the device, disconnect the AC adaptor, remove the main battery, press the power on button for twenty seconds or so, connect only the AC adaptor, turn on the power at the wall socket and leave like this overnight and do not try pressing the power on button until the notebook as been left like this for at least twelve hrs.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

I connected the notebook to my monitor, but without success. I also tried your latest suggestion, but again it unfortunately didn't achieve anything. The CD/DVD player does however still open up when I press the eject button and if I put a disc it, it spins round as if attempting to play.

I think I am going to look for a new notebook. I might open up the Sony again at a later date just for my own interest really, just to see if I can do it! :)

Thanks again,

Chris

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Chris,

The MB is getting power then, a disconnected cable or bad RAM are two possibilities.

When you hooked up to the external display did you try toggling between the notebook screen and the external screen, on my Vaio this is done by pressing down the Fn key and the F7 key, in not aware the Fn key is the third key to the left of the space bar.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

a disconnected cable or bad RAM are two possibilities

There didn't seem to be anything that was obviously disconnected when I looked in there, but I guess it could be something I couldn't see.

When you hooked up to the external display did you try toggling between the notebook screen and the external screen, on my Vaio this is done by pressing down the Fn key and the F7 key, in not aware the Fn key is the third key to the left of the space bar.

Okay.... I will try connecting it up again and doing this. (I had a feeling that there was something else I should be doing!)

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi Chris,

The keyboard ribbon can be a particular nuisance at coming loose on reassembling a notebook, hence the reason why trying an external USB one was suggested.

I should have mentioned the toggle between screens info tbh  :(

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again Phill,

Okay...... a laughably basic question coming up, I'm afraid! :blush:

When I connected the notebook up to the monitor before, I wasn't really happy that the lead (which I took out from the back of the Dell Desktop) fitted in the socket in the Sony Vaio properly. It went in okay, but there was nothing for the two screws at the sides of the vga connector to go into. Just now, I pulled the Dell out further than I did the other day so I could see the back better and saw that there are actual holes for the screws to screw into. Does this matter, or should I have a different cable?

I have aborted the exercise of connecting the up the two machines for now, until I have an answer to this. When I tried it before I just got a message about a cable being disconnected.

Many thanks,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi Chris,

No worries, the cable is only pushed in on the notebook.

Where did you get the message about the cable being disconnected.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Sorry, I found the answer to my question myself after posting.........

I have just connected the two machines up again. The Fn and F7 keys didn't seem to have any effect, as far as I am aware. The message - which comes up on the monitor - is "check video cable".

Cheers,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Chris,

It is F7 on my Vaio but it may differ on yours, do you see an etching on the F7 key that looks like a monitor or says LCD.

That message means that there was no signal being received from the notebook.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again Phill,

Yes, it does say LCD on the F7 key.

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi Chris,

It does look like something has expired then I`m afraid  :(

Last thing that I can think of is trying the RAM in the other slot on the MB.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi Phill,

Last thing that I can think of is trying the RAM in the other slot on the MB.

I am extremely confused, yet again! Where do I find a second slot to move the RAM to?

Going back....... in Message #34, when I was double-checking with you that I had the right thing after you had told me to remove the RAM, I posted a picture of the RAM. I was wondering then whether there were perhaps two sticks of RAM in the photo, but in Message #35 you seemed to indicate that the lower one (which you put a red cross over) was not RAM. Or possibly I misunderstood (most likely!). So are they both RAM, or is there another empty slot somewhere that I don't know about?

All such confusing stuff! :(

Thanks,

Chris.