Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

still getting msn error message

• Please log in to reply

debbyski

debbyski

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi guys,
I posted a problem with msn 8 that had an error message to send to micosoft about a month or so ago. I've set my security setting to medium and toggled through them, etc., and this particular error message keeps reappearing from time to time. It seems it involves oleaut.32.dll Any more suggestions?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
1. I would suggest you to please update your oleaut files - http://www.macros.com/oleaut.htm

The error "The MSNMSGR.EXE file is linked to missing export OLEAUT32.DLL-314." occurs most likely for the following reason:

The MSN Messenger setup program installs a few DLL files, if proper versions are not already on your system. The error occurs because, during the setup process, MSN needs to replace a DLL file, which requires a version of OLEAUT32.DLL that is newer than what comes with your Windows version. Unfortunately, the old OLEAUT32.DLL is always locked and thus can only be replaced after your system is restarted. Replace the OLEAUT32.DLL by a newer one manually.

2. Download the latest version of MSN Messenger http://messenger.microsoft.com/

3. Even if you're not using Internet Explorer as your default browser, make sure you've got the latest version http://www.microsoft...ads/default.asp

4. As always, run Windows Update and apply any available updates and patches.

Let us know the results. <_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have the most current version of msn messenger which is 6.1 and also internet explorer 6.0 and I always do windows update and keep up on the criticals. I'm running window 98 second edition but I'm unsure which which patch to download for the Oleaut32.dll file. Would it be VBRun60.exe or VBRun60sp.5.exe or DCOM98.exe? Thank you so much <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'd recommend VBRun60sp5.exe

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks so much for the information. I would agree with your research that this is the problem. So I downloaded the file to my desktop and it was an exe. file so I just installed it and then the messenger error message was worse. Before it sort of came and went. So I used goback and went back to before I installed the file. Did I install the file wrong? This is really weird. I think I'm going to ignore this problem unless it starts to happen alot.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Strange <_< Did you restart your computer after installing? If so, I guess you've got nothing to lose by trying the VBRun60.exe update? It'll just overwrite the existing files.

I'll check with some others on this, and let you know if I can come up with another recommendation. :D

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I know, it is strange. I did restart the computer after installing. I think I am going to wait until I get the messenger error message again, and then post it exactly. <_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok,
Here is the exact error message and the error signature. The error message is as follows: "Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
The error signature is:
appname: msng.exe
Mod ver: 2.40.4518.0
App.Ver: 8.50.17.1202
offset: 0065dee
modname: oleut.32.dll

The error message appears when I sign out of messenger after being on a short time. Sometimes it appears frequently and sometimes it appears infrequently. It has been very frequent lately. When I report this issue to msn it tells me that there is a critical windows update that will fix this issue and to go to windows update. When I go to windows update and scan my computer, there are no critical updates for the computer. I'm pretty good about keeping up on them. <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi debbyski
You are running verizon Dsl right? if so have you got the e-mail from verizon to upgrade to Msn Premiun if not I would call them and find out how you can down load it I think this will fix your problem.
<_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Tazz,
Yes, I am running verizon dsl. I went to the member center and looked at MSN premium and they list the mininum requirements were 500 processor speed and I have 450. They recommend having 800 processor speed or faster so I am wondering if if would be a good idea to update. Thanks.

Advertisements

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well I answered my own question. I went to member services and tried to download MSN premium and it automatically checked my computer for minimum processor speed and they needed 490 and I had 448 so it wouldn't let me download it until I got an upgrade if that is even possible. <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
looking in to some of the things on msn they are saying that if you upgrade to the newest directX this should repair this problem
<_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Tazz,
I did install the new direct X and the problem was still there. I really think this problem started when I upgraded to messenger 6.1. Before that I never received these error messages. It's not that bad; it's just an annoyance. I'm e-mailing msn support about this issue. I had contacted them before by phone and was told it was a windows problem related to XP but I don't have XP, and was told to update to MSN 9. When I did that the issue was much worse! So, I'll repost when msn gets back to me; that is if their support is any good. I really think if I would unistall messenger 6.1 and reinstall 6.0, the issue might be resolved. That is if I could find the 6.0 download.

Edited by debbyski, 22 February 2004 - 09:47 AM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
do you still have the cd you got when you got your things from verizon DSL that will have the older msn on it. we can gave you a step by step on how to just install the msn off the cd
<_<

debbyski

debbyski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Sure,
I still have the cd. I can try that. <_<