Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Genuinely free video editing software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hello,

I have a video file (mp4) that I'd like to take a couple of clips from and so I'm looking for some free editing software.

So far, I've downloaded two programmes that claimed to be free - only to find I need an activation licence (at a price) in order to use the 'free' software.

Does anyone konw of any genuinely free video editing software? I don't need anything fancy, I just and to be able to take out a couple of clips.

TIA

RSP

Advertisements

sparky97

sparky97

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Hello RSP,

I've used a variety of video editing software programs over the years.  Some free and some not.  My current free choice is Avid Media Composer | First (https://www.avid.com...-composer-first).  This is a fully featured video editing application, lots of awesome features, and is completely free.  The only caveat is that it requires a bit of a learning curve up front, but is well worth the effort.

In addition, I've also had success with Windows Movie Maker (https://www.microsof...ell-your-story/) for simple edits and trims.

I hope that helps! :)

williamjoseph_lpa123

williamjoseph_lpa123

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

You can try filmora, camtasia, final cut pro and adobe premiere pro. They are hte top video editing software used for professional editing.

adydye

adydye

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

By the way, I had some problems extracting and installing Avid Media Composer First.

Some file names where too long and I got error messages.

I've just installed Filmora and will see how I get on with that.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Edited by adydye, 24 April 2019 - 05:12 AM.

sarajames

sarajames

• Pip
  • 2 posts

There are many free video editing software available. You can even do the basic editing in the windows video viewer. You can find more options on any website.

Here are some of the options:

Openshot

VideoPad

Freemake video converter

SylviaW

SylviaW

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Last week, I took part in an activity, and I get a free lifetime license to use a video editor.

You can check the detailed information: 

https://www.joyoshare.com/special/2020-summer/ 

You just need to share it, and then you can get coupons, a one-month free license, or a lifetime license to use video editor.

hadserub

hadserub

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I too would like to know how you can edit the size of the video without cutting it down and reducing the time duration

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Long abandoned thread closed to prevent any further spam posts.