Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly getting 'No Signal' on my display?

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I came home yesterday and turned on my PC in the living room (hooked up to my TV) and much to my surprise it now seems like it's giving "No Signal" to the TV.  I tried connecting it to a different display (I use a DVI-to-HDMI cable for my GTX 500 Ti, the motherboard has no on-board video) and still got the same message on the second display saying "No Signal".  Both displays work with other devices so I know it's not them.

thought maybe my PSU wasn't putting out enough juice, so I ordered a new one.  After disconnecting and removing my current PSU, I hooked up the new one and it's still giving me "No Signal" on my display.  I don't have another GPU to swap out with mine to see if that might be the issue, so I'm really hoping that's not what's wrong.

Any ideas what it could be now....? 

Advertisements

AlexanderRoz

AlexanderRoz

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi Ghost,

Can you post a detailed list of your specs? (CPU, Motherboard, GPU, RAM, PSU (Brand and Model, new and old), and OS.) The GTX 500ti doesn't exist. Is it possible you mean GTX 550ti or 560ti? Unfortunately, those cards are very old (8 years). It's quite possible it's kicked the can given its advanced age :/.

Start with the simplest steps.

1) Switch cables, adapters, to ones you know work, if you have spare around.
2) Switch monitors, if you have a spare around
3) Re-seat the GPU, either in it's current PCIe slot, or the another. (Try both). Make sure to take appropriate anti-static precautions if you proceed with re-seating it. 

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Sorry that was a typo, it's a GTX 550Ti

• Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 LGA 775
  • ASUS P5N-D LGA 775
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-pin DDR2 800
  • Corsair HX Series 750W
  • Windows 7 64-bit

1)  I don't have another cable to try out (since all my monitors only have HDMI-in, and the card only has DVI-out)

2)  Tried another monitor, still the same result of "no signal" on the screen (both work fine with other devices)

3)  Tried both re-seating the GPU & putting it in a different slot, both of which gave me the same result on both the monitors I tried

Tomorrow I'm going to borrow my buddies spare GPU he has lying around (ironically also a 550 Ti) so I'll try that out to see if it's the issue.  If not, the next step I'll have to take is ordering a new DVI-to-HDMI cable to see if maybe that's it.  I'll update you as I progress further.  Any other suggestions for the time being?

Edited by GhostLoad, 22 December 2018 - 11:19 PM.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Okay so I tried my friend's GTX 550 Ti (in both PCI-e slots, and tried both DVI ports on it) and still the exact same "No Signal" on the display.  Next thing I'm gonna try is the cable.  I ordered a new one that'll be arriving tomorrow so I'll give it a shot then.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Guys.

"1)  I don't have another cable to try out (since all my monitors only have HDMI-in, and the card only has DVI-out)"

Please double check the card ports, as the specs list,

Mini-HDMI-to-HDMI Adapter (Optional) Use to connect the mini-HDMI connector on the card to a regular size HDMI connector..

It does sound like a failed cable, but the above may be an alternative for future use.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yeah unfortunately I don't have a mini-HDMI to HDMI connector either, meant that it only has DVI-out that I can use (since I don't have the cable nor an adapter for it)

I'm hoping it's just a randomly failed cable at this point, I guess I'll know more tomorrow when the new cable arrives.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

New DVI-to-HDMI cable arrived, still getting "No Signal" from my display.  I also tried resetting the BIOS by removing the battery & holding the power button for 10 sec before reinstalling it.  In addition, tried each stick of RAM by itself in each slot, one at a time, and no configuration of that made any difference either.  I've completely hit a wall............ :/

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Hope everyone is having a nice Christmas!

Still floating dead in the water with figuring out what's wrong with my PC, maybe it's the CPU or motherboard(?), both of which I have no way of testing.

AlexanderRoz

AlexanderRoz

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi iammykyl and Ghost,

Happy Holidays!

Apologies for the lack of response. Got wrapped up in Holidays, meeting with family. iammykyl certainly is more than capable of helping you though!

Good news that you had another GPU to try (from your buddy). If possible, can you confirm your card works in his build? At least that way we know it's not a dead GPU (I read that you tried his GPU in your system)...  Unfortunately, without monitor output, I am not aware of any testing you can do either. With the cable, and adapters being swapped, and trying an additional monitor, nothing immediate comes to mind about what could be causing this. 

Just to confirm, is your motherboard making any beeping sounds (or lack thereof)? (If so, note how many, in what order, how long (short, long, long continuous). Post the beep codes here. If no beeps, that is also important.

Cheers,
Alex.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday AlanderRoz, Happy hols to you too.

I think Ghost has done presently, all that is possible and agree with your conclusions.

Ghost.

Please try AR.s suggestions and answer questions. 

There might not be a internal speaker/buzzer on your MB.   You may find one local, or Amazon, here is a link > http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html

Highly unlikely but possible, that both sticks of Ram are Dud, has your friend got one you can try, otherwise the MB speaker would give a specific beep code if the RAM was not detected.

If RAm is not detected at POST, initialization stops, so the video slots would not detect an installed card.

When you start up, does the keyboard lights flash and or the mouse light up, or anything on the case lights?

Alternative way to test the MB is with a PCI code test card, > https://www.newegg.c...card&Submit=ENE

I would not spend more than $15 and it must come with a manual/sheet (or a link) showing what the codes mean.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Thanks for keeping up with the thread.  I hope you guys all had happy holidays!

I don't really have a way to test mine nor his card in his system currently, MAYBE I can convince another friend to bring his tower over to my house but no guarantees lol.

My motherboard doesn't have a speaker but I do already have one like iammykyl suggested.  I plugged it into the position as per the guide for my board (even tried it both directions) and after powering up I get absolutely no beeps out of it.  The last time I used it (years ago) it worked fine, so I can only presume the speaker itself is still good?

The keyboard is a bluetooth one (https://www.logitech...d-k400r?crid=27) so it has no lights.  Upon powering up though, all the fans spin.  There's no actual lights inside the case except for the LEDs that are in some of the fans (and the single LED on the motherboard itself).

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Trying your GPU in another PC was to see if it was working, given you tried a known GPU on your PC with no result, to me, points to an issue with the MB or CPU; ruled out the PSU as you installed a new one.

We need a way to get some sort of signal from the computer.

First.   Remove the keyboard and unifying device, (not a lot of good for diagnostics).   Remove the RAM, connect the mini speaker and test.   Any beeps.

Second.   Acquire a PS/2  keyboard and test; if you get lights, shows that POST is initialized.

Third.   Try a known stick of RAM in all the slots.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

1)  Alright, tried booting with no USB receiver for the keyboard, and no RAM connected  -  no beeps

2)  I don't have a PS/2 keyboard, BUT I do have a USB-to-PS/2 adaptor, will that suffice?

3)  I don't know anyone who actually still has DD2 RAM.... :/

EDIT:  Follow up about #2, I tried connecting a Corsair K55 keyboard (it's got LED backlit keys) through the PS/2 port with an adapter, and upon powering up the keyboard lights (even though the motherboard speaker gives me no beeps.

Edited by GhostLoad, 26 December 2018 - 06:18 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good, some progress.

Keyboard lights flashing means that the BIOS is trying to step through initializing devices, but gets stuck somewhere down the chain.

Your little beeper may be dead.

We will be working a bit blind here, buts lets try.

Leave the present keyboard setup.

Be connected to a display, switched on.

Install one stick of RAM in the slot nearest to the CPU.

Install the GPU. Start up and test??

Restart and hold down the F or delete key to enter BIOS, wait a few seconds.

Press the F10 key, once.

Press the enter key, once; the computer should restart??   Any results.