Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly getting 'No Signal' on my display?

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Do you think at this point it's worth taking it to a shop to see if they can diagnose what's failed?  I've never actually done that before, and I don't have any clue how much that would even cost.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Best you can do is ring around.

My experience.

A PSU, usually free, or a nominal fee.

RAM, $10 a stick.

My previous GTX 760 $350, quoted $129 to test + cost of repair, I declined and bought a GTX 1060  $314.

No idea for your parts.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Ugh I hope it's not anywhere near that price :(

The only last thing I can test is wait until Monday and see if my buddy can bring his tower over so I can test both video cards.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I thought the borrowed card was a working one.   Perhaps you buddy has a beeper in his towerI await the results.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

As far as I know it's a working one but I figured it can't hurt to double check on another rig that it (and possibly mine) run.

I don't need to download anything before popping them into this other rig do I?  Just plug 'em in, hook up the video cable, and unplug the main video card he uses in his tower?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Got it.

Check that he/she is using a nvidia card so you have the correct type of video drivers.

If you have not been taking anti static measures, please do so, as you don't want to zap anything in the rig.

After opening up the tower,

Plug in the power supply, but do not switch on.

Briefly touch *(best) a screw holding in the PSU.

Disconnect the cable and remove the present GPU.

Install your GPU, connect cable.

Connect to a display and switch it on.

Turn on the PSU and start the computer. 

Before testing another card, and when reinstalling the original one, switch off the PSU, take anti static measures.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Yep he's got an nVidia card (all of us do lol). Also yes I've been using my anti static strap and touching the metal of the case before touching anything inside, also always making sure to turn off the PSU before working inside.

Do you think I need to remove his GPU or just unplugging it's power will be fine?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's good you know about static and take precautions.

You will have to remove his card and replace it with yours.   Even with the cable removed, it draws power from the slot and will be detected by the MB.   The second card will be detected, and I think, the MB will try to set up a SLI configuration; with insufficient power to his card, you will get errors and probably no display, or fail to boot.   There may also be an issue with the PSU power output. 

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Alright, I'll update you Monday after trying both video cards

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Well, now I have to wait until Thursday to test.... my buddy can't make it tomorrow :(

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Finally an update!

Sorry it took so long, my friend could only bring his tower over today at the soonest.

I tested both video cards I've got (the 550 Ti a friend lent me, and my own 550 Ti) and both worked fine.  I also checked both DVI-to-HDMI cables (my original and the new one from Amazon) and both worked fine.  I even tested my motherboard speaker on his tower, and it gave me a single beep during POST so apparently the mobo speaker also works fine.  He's using DDR3 RAM so there's no way for me to test my sticks in his rig unfortunately, but I'm not really thinking it's a RAM issue now that I know the mobo speaker works yet will not give me any error beep codes in my tower even when the RAM is removed.

Do all signs point to the motherboard being what has gone out?  I dunno what else to test while the tower is here, and I don't wanna keep the man without his computer, so when he heads out in a few hours he's gonna take it with him.  At least it was very helpful in determining that all the components I've been testing so far have been working just fine.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Ghostload.

Sorry the result was not the best, but at least you know the GPU is good.

Yes, I think it is the MB died, that's without totally ruling out the RAM.

I think the cheapest option is to look for another MB, one here, > https://www.ebay.com...b7URZ:rk:2:pf:0and do a rebuild uning your existing CPU/RAM OR,

build a new PC, using your case, PSU and GPU.

Note, if you have a OEM OS license, you will need to buy a new one.

Your thoughts?

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Hmm [bleep] now I'm between a rock and a hard place.  Do I spend the money looking for a motherboard (which is likely the culprit but it's not 100%)?  Or do I upgrade my main rig and pass down it's guts into this living room PC that's giving me trouble now.  I really don't wanna spend the kind of $ it would cost to upgrade to a new gaming PC....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I know it's always hard to know when to pull th plug on a troublesome build.   If you present gaming computer is good'capable at the moment, I would risk purchasing a replacement MB.   The one I linked sold within a couple of days.   

If you decide on a new build, let me know and I can help with configuration.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I know it's always hard to know when to pull th plug on a troublesome build.   If you present gaming computer is good'capable at the moment, I would risk purchasing a replacement MB.   The one I linked sold within a couple of days.   

If you decide on a new build, let me know and I can help with configuration.

Thanks.  I'm gonna think on it a little bit and definitely let you know regardless of which direction I decide to go in.