Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 running extreamly slow, unable to do proper scans, crashes,

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Click here for information about Microsoft.NET Framework.

If successful, restart the computer and retry MBAM.

Advertisements

SunnySeven

SunnySeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

In most occasions applications need Microsoft.net Framework. The computer has a very old version.

I really have no clue how this PC has been running from Win 7 to Win 10 without an updated version of .net framework all these years. This seems like something Windows 10 should have at least updated and installed before hand. I wouldn't know, I honestly don't use Windows 10.

Why aren't you able to connect?

I'm borrowing this PC, which was originally only connected through the router by its user and I don't really have any extra wireless routers or even any extra enthernet ports at home as they all are used up by my cameras and such, added to the fact that I have to make room for this PC+monitor+ mouse& keyboard as my router is connected in a small area. Yeah this PC is giving everyone [bleep]. I can try to see I what can do about the connecting online, worse case I'll end up buying a wireless router.

Edited by SunnySeven, 22 January 2019 - 10:08 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Were you able to install.net?

SunnySeven

SunnySeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I followed the link on installing .NET Framework 3.5 and took a quick look. It looks like .NET Framework 3.5 already installed and checked in facted it looks just like what was in the link except instead of Framework 4.5 Advanced Services, this one is on 4.7

dotnet-control-panel.png

Maybe I'm missing something but you sure this PC doesn't have an updated version of .NET Framworks installed?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Did not see it in intalled programs.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

I don't see anything under software that may be affecting MBAM. Seems it is happening in both, Safe Mode and Normal Mode, I would suggest you test the Computer's memory.

Follow the instructions below for running MemTest86 from a USB drive
How to download MemTest86 and burn it onto a USB drive

Simple steps

Spoiler

Detailed steps

Spoiler
  • Leave the USB drive, or CD/DVD, inserted.
  • You should now "tell" your machine to boot from the media you created right now, through its boot menu.
  • To access the boot menu, reboot your computer.
  • During the initial stages of the boot process, press the applicable key as prompted.
  • Select the USB drive with MemTest86 on it.
  • When finally MemTest86 will be available on your screen, it will automatically start the test.
  • You can use the letters between parenthesis to access its menus and the arrows on your keyboard to navigate through menu options.
  • Your mouse (and the mouse pointer on the screen) could also be available .
  • Press T (on your keyboard) to access the test selection and modify 4 passes to 8 passes, or click test selection with the mouse pointer and then modify that value.
  • Then press S (on your keyboard) to start the test, or click start test with the mouse pointer.
  • Wait until it finishes or until an error appears.
  • This test could take few hours.
  • At the end of the test, you can save an HTML report.
  • You'll find it in the USB drive, in <YourUsbLetter>:\EFI\BOOT.
  • Example: H:\EFI\BOOT\MemTest86-Report-20171203-195935.html.
  • If errors are found with a single drive, it is also worth testing that drive in other slots to check that the errors are not due to a MB slot problem.

SunnySeven

SunnySeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I don't see anything under software that may be affecting MBAM. Seems it is happening in both, Safe Mode and Normal Mode

Also its, not just Malwarebytes that's causing the PC to crash, I've had other scans do the same thing, scanning with ClamWin Portable would also cause the PC to crash. I guess when something gets detected, it crashes or freezes the PC. I did a scan with HitmanPro and it never found anything so it never crashed/freeze up on me whereas, ClamWin detected a few things then ended up crashing. Though I'm still not sure if its just the software itself.

Also just letting you know I just started the MemTest86 test a few minutes ago, it started up automatically like you said. One question though.

• Leave the USB drive, or CD/DVD, inserted.
  • You should now "tell" your machine to boot from the media you created right now, through its boot menu.
  • To access the boot menu, reboot your computer.
  • During the initial stages of the boot process, press the applicable key as prompted.
  • Select the USB drive with MemTest86 on it.
  • When finally MemTest86 will be available on your screen, it will automatically start the test.
  • You can use the letters between parenthesis to access its menus and the arrows on your keyboard to navigate through menu options.
  • Your mouse (and the mouse pointer on the screen) could also be available .
  • Press T (on your keyboard) to access the test selection and modify 4 passes to 8 passes, or click test selection with the mouse pointer and then modify that value.
  • Then press S (on your keyboard) to start the test, or click start test with the mouse pointer.
  • Wait until it finishes or until an error appears.
  • This test could take few hours.
  • At the end of the test, you can save an HTML report.
  • You'll find it in the USB drive, in <YourUsbLetter>:\EFI\BOOT.
  • Example: H:\EFI\BOOT\MemTest86-Report-20171203-195935.html.
  • If errors are found with a single drive, it is also worth testing that drive in other slots to check that the errors are not due to a MB slot problem.

Right around the 9th step, am I suppose to let the first test finish before I start doing this?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Just follow the prompts to create a log after the test.

SunnySeven

SunnySeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I did the test and there were no errors but I don't know how to produce an HTML report. I had to use an older version of MemTest86 because this is an old PC and most likely doesn't have UEFI support and so the MemTest86 menu is completely different than what you described in steps. This is an old Dell PC that came with Windows 7 installed and upgraded to Windows 10 when it was free.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Go to the Device Manager and disable the Graphics Adapter. Restart and try to reproduce the issue.

Keep me posted.

Advertisements

SunnySeven

SunnySeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I disabled the Graphics Adapter and re did the memtest, if that's what you were asking. Still no errors

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
No, run MBAM to see if crashes.

SunnySeven

SunnySeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

No, run MBAM to see if crashes.

Oh ok, just tried another MBAM scan with the graphics adapter disabled. Things were slightly different but still the same. Malwarebytes would get half way into the scan(Scan Startup Files) while detecting the same 9 threats and right around either the Scan Registry or the Scan File System(hard to tell which since it was too fast), the PC crashed and went to the "Your PC ran into a problem" blue screen. Basically is feels like it crashed a lot sooner than normally, usually it would be several minutes into the Scan File System before it crashed or froze.

The blue screen is a lot easier to read but I'm not sure if its because I changed monitors. Here's a recent comparison difference

J2rGZIE.jpg

This weird vertical line still shows up over the frown face through. The percentage doesn't seem to move at all but I can try waiting a bit longer to see if the PC eventually starts.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Lets see the integrity of the hard drive.

Running Check Disk from the Command Line

You can run Check Disk from an elevated command prompt or within other tools. At the elevated command prompt, you can test the integrity of drive C by typing the following command:

chkdsk C:

Check Disk then performs an analysis of the disk and returns a status message regarding any problems it encounters.Unless you specify further options, Check Disk won’t repair problems, however.To find and repair errors on drive C, use this command:

chkdsk /f C:

Keep me posted.

SunnySeven

SunnySeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Ok, I completed the first check with chkdsk C: and it mentioned it found some problems

The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.

Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problem and queue them for repair.

Wasn't sure if I should use the "chkdsk /scan"  command or the chkdsk /f C: one you mentioned.