Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Canon MX880 prints from some software but nothing from others

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

My PC runs Windows 10.  I am hardwired to print on my MX882 and have been printing trouble free for 5+ years.  Today, I can not print from MS Word, WordPerfect, and can only partially print from Excel (It prints the grid, but not what is IN the grid.).  It also partially prints from internet (e.g. the wife tried to print a recipe from Food Network by clicking on the printer icon, but got only part of the recipe.

From Word or WordPerfect the printer "runs" the pages but leaves them 100% blank.  HOWEVER, I printed a screen dump from MS Paint and the screen dump printed 100% correctly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi, this is a pretty old printer ( as printers go these days) however it may be fixable.

Here are some steps for your consideration.

1 Try a different printer cable, USB or Ethernet connection (make sure that it is pushed fully home and withdraw and repeat 4 or 5 times to ensure that the internal contacts are clean and free from excessive oxidisation.

2 Next open notepad type a paragraph or so and try to print it, any joy?

3 Repeat the step above but this time using Wordpad ( make sure that that when pressing Ctrl +P that the screen shows your Canon MX882 as default and that somehow Microsoft's own printer or  other printer has not been substituted)

4 Repeat above step but this time using Microsoft Word and be sure to check the print is being sent to the correct printer when pressing Ctrl+P

5 If still no joy then cheack carefully the ink cartridge levels and that they are all correctly installed and OEM parts ( not pattern versions)

6 If still no joy then its time to uninstall the printer reboot and then install again and carry out a further test...

7 If all else fails then I'm afraid it may be best to go to the printer shop and get a new one they can be picked up for just a few pounds or dollars.

Regards

paws

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

paws,

Thank you for the reply.   I did not have a back-up cable, so I could not try the first part of your #1 suggestion.  However, I did push and pull the cable at both the computer and the printer.  Steps 2-4 produced no result.  I assumed Step 5 was unnecessary since the copy function worked perfectly and I could print correctly from Paint.

Now the good news.  STEP 6 worked.  I'm printing again from all software and from my browser.

Thanks much.

J

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

That's good to hear,

Well done on fixing it

:thumbsup: