Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry cleaners Safe to use?

Picking a safe registry clean

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I had problems with my Canon printer.  I went to Canon for advice and thought I was forwarded to a Canon rep.   Not so it now appears  he kept telling me he had to clean up my computer and would be happy to help.  After dumbly allowing him to access my pc, he kept going through and telling me everything that was wrong.  His solution of course was something he wanted me to buy.   After dismissing him, my pc does not work correctly.   Is there a safe, easy to follow cleaner that I can use to put things back to normal?

Advertisements

iMacg3

iMacg3

GeekU PowerPC G3

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,921 posts
Hi,

Sounds like your computer may have a malware infection...you can post here for assistance with malware removal: http://www.geekstogo...alware-removal/

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

We need some more info on the computer. What is the make and model of it?  What type of problems are you having? I assume it is a Win 7 unit.

As for registry cleaners, they are not to be used. They will take out stuff that allows the unit to operate properly. Plus, you gain very little from using them.

neocz

neocz

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I had problems with my Canon printer.  I went to Canon for advice and thought I was forwarded to a Canon rep.   Not so it now appears  he kept telling me he had to clean up my computer and would be happy to help.  After dumbly allowing him to access my pc, he kept going through and telling me everything that was wrong.  His solution of course was something he wanted me to buy.   After dismissing him, my pc does not work correctly.   Is there a safe, easy to follow cleaner that I can use to put things back to normal?

It's very important to secure your pc in any harm attack and its look like your computer been infected or some setting been messed up by the tech guy. Technically you need to use third party tools to clean your system but its very important to secure all your important data before running any tool. Lot of free powerful tools in the internet you can download few and test.

DAllman

DAllman

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi there,

On the first question - my answer would be that I wouldn't trust any Registry Cleaner. The Registry is what keeps your computer running, and registry cleaners can often, if not always damage some part of your registry. 

What you need is an anti-virus, I would highly recommend the following:

Malwarebytes - Free from https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Hitman Pro - Free one time scan and removal from https://www.hitmanpr.../en-us/hmp.aspx

If this 'technician' person did ask you to install any remote access software, e.g TeamViewer, GoToAssist ect. - please uninstall it if possible.

Please let me know if you have any further queries or need any more assistance.

Kind regards,

Dylan Allman

Director of ICT and Tech Support - West Coast Web Works 

www.westcoastwebworks.co.uk

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP

Hi. . .

I would run Windows System Restore to start with, which will place your system back in the condition it was in before the so-called PC Tech  fooled with it.

https://www.sysnativ...-7-vista.11722/

Select a restore point prior to your interaction with this guy.

After your system is restored back in time, then we can help you with any issues that you may have.

And NO - I would not advise that you run a registry cleaner. There is no need to and it can cause problems on your system.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2