Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost my W10 Bookmarks !

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

For years with my W10 desktop, by clicking on a desktop icon (with a label "Google Chrome") I would get to a screen with a bookmark bar --- that I then used to get to my mail and a alrge number of other apps. But, for reasons not known to me, that suddenly changed . Now when I click that icon I get a Google screen asking me to enter a search term or to click-on-and-open one of about a dozen pictured apps (like Yahoo mail).

How can I get my bookmarks bar back? Surely, I hope, it must still be there.

Thanks for your help. ... batpark

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Right-click any blank space up on the Title bar and select "Bookmarks Toolbar".

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Doc: Thanks for your guidance but I am not there yet.

Please see attached screenshot  ---- what I get now when I click the Google Chrome icon on my desktop. I believe the bar with "Yahoo mail". "NYT". etc  is the Bookmarks toolbar, right? I manually created the several bookmark entries shown.

How can I avoid manually recreating all the boookmarks I had before and that now are seemngly lost? How do I access them and move them into this new bookmarks tool bar?   ....batpark

Attached Thumbnails

• ss 03-27-2019.png

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

That screenshot looks like the "Google Startup" page. Just under the address (URL) bar is your Bookmarks bar which is showing:

"Apps" "Yahoo Mial (1x1Ezz..." "NYT" "GTG (Hallmxxx)" "WaPo" "Politico"

You can hide or show this Bookmarks bar by right-clicking a blank space anywhere up on the light-gray title bar and then select or deselect "Bookmarks".

Underneath the Google Search bar in the middle of that page are your "Most Visited" sites, which Google keeps track of. If you don't want one of them showing on that page, point to it for a sec and when a little vertical 3-dot bar appears, click it and select Remove.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Doc: With your prompting, I have now relearned how to create and manage my bookmarks. My remaining problem is locating and retrieving the hundreds of bookmarks that seemed to disappear from me last week. I want to avoid, if possible, having to recreate them all.

I expect that those old bookmarks are still there somewhere in my W10 desktop. Where should I look? How can I search for them?   Thanks.  ....batpark

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Bookmarks from the Bookmarks bar

or

the Goggle Startpage's Most Visited sites?